new iPhone 3g activation question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike510, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mike510 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the old iphone and im going to buy the new 3g but mines hacked but i cant restore it cuz I have a voicemail i CANNOT delete, would having a hacked iphone effect my sim to where I cant activate it in the stores? any help would be apprieciated.

2. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

Just a thought/....

I don't know for sure but i'm thinking that it didn't effect your SIM Card because the hack only effects the frameworks of your PHONE, see if you hacked an iPod touch, there's no SIM Card to ruin, so i'm thinking it doesn't do anything to the actual SIM CARD, just the phone.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

when you get the iphone, you get a new sim card as well, so what you've done in the past doesn't matter

4. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

voicemails are not held on your handset. they are heald in a database by your provider, hence being able to listen to them from any phone. your voicemail greeting and any saved voicemails will still be active even when you get a new sim to go in your iPhone 3G. unless that is your changing your number...

5. Mike510 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok sounds good, thanks for the help,but what if they look at my iPhone and see it's hacked? would they not sell me a new one?

6. Type121 macrumors regular

They won't be looking at your old phone at all.

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

you're worth more to them with a contract than without one, so they would sell it to you

just take the sim and pit it in an old phone

8. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

dont you need a new sim anyway to access 3G networks?

9. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Normally a phone comes with a SIM and I don't think the iphone will be any exception.

All the phone company cares about is your credit rating. If you're an existing customer they know you can pay so they don't care one bit what you did with your current phone.. they get the money anyway.

10. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

because the iPhone comes sealed in a box from apple i presume there is no sim in it(dunno cause i never got the iPhone 1!

so they will just give you a new sim with your number on it, that is 3G capable and port your numbers from your old sim onto the new one.

nothing to do with your old iPhone at all, doesnt matter if its unlocked, jailbroken,dropped, cracked or what ever, all they care about is whether you can pay for 18/24 months worth of contract!

11. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

The iphone 1 had a SIM in it - in fact at around release time it was thought that you couldn't remove it (which quickly proved to be false).

12. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

didnt knw that. even the uk ones had sims in them?

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

All iPhones are GSM. Those providers chose to go with SIMs. That's why SIM locking is such a big deal worldwide.

And why it's legal to unlock here.

14. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

soory i meant shipped with sims already in them, i know they used sims, just seems strange they actually shipped from apple pre installed

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh... yeah. At least, that's how I got mine, but I won it. I got it sealed in a box, hand given to me by the guy who bought it, but yeah. They gave you the SIM even without a contract.

16. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

weird....trying to think if ive ever gotten phones like that, i buy most sim free and swap my sim in after....it seems like a bit of a logistical nightmare shipping iPhones to 70 different countries with 70 different sims pre inserted....well we shall see in 10 days!!!