New iPhone 3G. Not Dock Compatible?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 4DThinker, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I bought my wife an iPhone for Christmas, along with a DLO Homedock Music Remote/Dock. Intended to hook it into the stereo in the master bedroom so she could charge her iphone there as well as play the music off it. The DLO works fine with my iPod Touch and both 3rd and 4th gen Nanos. The iPhone (2.2) reports it is not compatible though, and warns that the phone will be OFF when connected. Is this normal? I found the same to be true with a Griffin Evolve dock.

Forgive me if this is old news or obvious. This is our first iPhone.

2. deadsouls macrumors regular

seriously. apple are morons. no idea why they had to switch around the insides of the iphone 3g so that its all of a sudden not compatible with a ton of different accessories. my old iphone charged via usb just fine in my car. meanwhile the 3g doesn't charge at all using the same usb outlet. incredibly lame and annoying.

3. gnortenjones macrumors regular

What I don't get is how a dock could possibly BE non compatible? If it uses the standard Apple dock connector, it seems like it should work ok.

I have a universal dock that occasionally causes the phone to say it's not compatible, though it still seems to charge/synch perfectly fine, even with the error.

I did have a wall charger though that it wouldn't charge with.

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

My Iphone works with my dock, but my moms 3g will not work. Doesn't even charge.

Its really annoying, that the NEWEST model doesn't work ALL docks. When it really should..

5. 4DThinker thread starter macrumors 68020

OK, so I'm not the only one with the problem. Any chance Apple is working on making the iPhone 3G more compatible?

6. c4sp14nx macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This is kind of "old" news which may be why so few have responded, but Apple has no plans to change the iPhone 3G to make it compatible with older accessories. Here's a story from The Register which kind of explains what's going on:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/30/reader_iphone_3g_accessory_angst/

For a more extensive look at the issue, see the thread on the topic here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=520552highlight=iphone+3g+prev

In a nutshell, the iPhone 3G no longer permits the use of the 12V Firewire pins for charging, and any device attempting to charge through those pins will prompt the message. The only accessories guaranteed to work are those designed specifically for the 3G.

There are, however, third-party adapters supposedly available to address this issue, but I've never looked for one and can't quote a cost.

Hope that helps explain things!

7. tekgeeek macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G accessorie

From what i know, Apple changed around some of the pin settings in the new iPhone 3G, iPod Nano 4th gen and the iPod Touch 2nd gen. These new products require their own line of products designed specifically for them even though older generation products still fit (don't let that fool you). If you want to buy iPhone 3G accessories just make sure it says on the product that it will work with the iPhone 3G. Apparently this is a problem that not a lot of people who sell accessories know about because the guy at my local Circuit City told me a certain car charger would work and I found out too late that it didn't. They are now out of business...