New Iphone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone James, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Iphone James macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if a new iphone 3g will be coming out soon? I heard that they might release a iphone 32gb or a iphone nano at macworld 2009 but they havent done this. Do you also know what date they will release a new iphone. Sorry if this has already been posted but im new to this forum.
    Thanks,
    James

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

June.

The iPhone nano was never going to happen, and the 32GB iPhone only didn't happen because the NAND chips don't exist in mass quantities yet.

3. Iphone James thread starter macrumors newbie

If this 100% certain it will be coming out in June because i currently dont have the iphone but im thinking about getting it, so not sure what to do at the moment.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you want an iPhone now, get one now. If you want to wait forever, wait forever. There will be an update every year in Juneish for the forseeable future.

5. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

6. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Last year we did not know for sure about the iPhone 3G until Apple's WWDC. Do we know if or when the WWDC for 2009 is?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Middle of June.

8. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Does anyone have any idea on where the new 32gb flash memory chips are in production in comparison to where the 16gb chips were last February? I have heard that 32gb chips only recently went into production. Would they yet be cost efficient enough for Apple to upgrade the iPhone and iPod Touch? How long were the 16gb chips available before Apple made use of them?

9. alana22 macrumors regular

Playing the waiting game with Apple is always a lose/lose game.. even if you buy something brand new the day it comes out, there's a chance it could be buggy.. and even if not, it'll only be a couple months before you start hearing rumors about the next big update and your honeymoon will end. ;)

10. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

True haha. I just got my macbook in august and got the ipod touch with it. Next month, 2nd gen ipod touch comes out...next month brand new macbook comes out...yeah. No wonder they were trying to get rid of those 1st gen touches. :mad:

11. jason72780 macrumors regular

They do that every summer. Buy a laptop for school and get a free iPod.

12. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My suggestion: Get on the same cycle I'm on. Wait for six months after a product is released for the hardware issues to be worked out. I got my first gen in Feb of '08 and never had a problem (to be honest I didn't even know what an iPhone was when it was released) and I didn't upgrade to the 3G until this month and the things is pretty much flawless. I think buying too soon is cause for way too many pains and visits to the :apple: store for exchanges and whatnot. Plus it gives you time to research and review these forums for how people are accepting and comparing it to the previous products.

13. davemanroe macrumors member

New Iphone - free Upgrade?

Do you think that if/when a new iphone is released, O2 in the UK will offer free upgrades to existing iPhone customers like it did for the introduction of the 3G iPhone? I'd assume they'd only do it for a major hardware change, not a capacity increase.

I'm on the cusp of making a buying decision, and it would make a June upgrade a bit more palletable!

14. rayward macrumors 68000

Buy one now, they're great. There will be an update later this year, probably June, but there will also be an update next year, probably in June.

If you buy one now, you'll have a great device in your pocket straight away. Skip the '09 update and you will have completed your 18-month contract with AT&T just after the next update is announced in June '10.

ETA: I'm still running my "Day 1" iPhone and it's great. At this point I can upgrade whenever I want, but I won't until there's a 32GB model and/or faster processor. The reason it's easy to wait is that my phone runs the same software and gets the same updates as newer models, and will continue to do so for some time to come.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Problem with this is, as far as I've heard, they're converting most of the Edge service into 3G. This is the main reason I ended up upgrading. I was one of the "my 1st gen is great/there's no reason to upgrade" but I had noticed a decrease in Edge coverage so I assumed from that point that the 3G service was probably pretty good in my area.

I'm really not looking forward to my next bill though... :eek:

16. rayward macrumors 68000

I have noticed the downgrade in Edge service too. This won't impact someone buying a 3G model now, but I agree that it is an irritation to those of us with older models.

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Another suggestion: If you do buy (this applies to current 3G users as well) check out the battery improvement thread. I just finished reading it now and although you'd assume it would be common sense information enclosed, there is actually a lot to learn.

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Yep. We know when a new iPhone is going to be replaced. Haven't you heard?