Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lulzn00b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Hello, I'm new here and appologize if I posted in the wrong section.

Okay, so I'm buying a 3GS in a few days and wanted to know if some of you could help me by answering some of these questions. By the way, I already own an iPod Touch so know basic things about jailbreak stuff.

1) well I'm getting the phone for a birthday present from my dad who lives in the UK and the phone is going to be on Vodafone UK. I'm on Vodafone DE, will it work or will it have to be activated through UK and then software unlocked?

2) if it doesn't have to be unlocked and I want to jailbreak it, will it mess it all up? ( I've heard a few people losing the phone and message capabilities when they do)

3) if it has to be unlocked can I get it done in a shop like a normal phone and have it officially unlocked?

4) if it is software only unlock then will it make me loose my signal for calling and messaging like others…?

Thanks in advance :):):)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can call your service provider and ask for it to be carrer unlocked.
They will tell you more details than we can here.
If they wont do it you will have to go towards the jb and unlock process.
Read up more on it.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
The best thing for you (by a long long way!) would be for your Dad to buy it from O2 instead, and get it officially unlocked before sending it to you. O2 do this on request. Vodafone will not.

He can buy it on PAYG and pay a £15 fee to have the unlock done, taken from the PAYG credit on the phone.

Then you can use it on any compatible network anywhere.

This is a lot easier than having to get into the unofficial software unlock routine, especially with a new phone where the jailbreak (necessary for the unlock) will be tethered, ie you will have to reconnect your phone to a PC every thime it gets powered off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.