New iPhone 3Gs with iPhone 3G SIM card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arabprlnce78, Jun 11, 2009.

1. arabprlnce78 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My GF finally wants to get an iPhone now since her old Sprint contract expired and the price is $99. Thing is she wants a white one which doesn't come in 8GB. I've have a new white 3G for a few weeks now. I wouldn't mind getting the new 3Gs phone. So I offered to pay the difference for the new 3Gs and give her my 16GB white which is still new. Would she be able to port her Sprint number over to AT&T, buy the 16GB 3Gs and have AT&T activate it than swap SIM cards and trade phones with me? She gets a 16GB white phone for $99 and I get a 3Gs for $100. Is this doable? I called AT&T and they said no. Once the phone is activated to her it's hers only and her number stays on it. I would need to buy a new 3Gs if I wanted one. I'm very new to phones with SIM cards and don't know if they are just trying to get me to spend the money on a new phone. Thanks in advance for the info.

AP

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes you can just swap SIM cards.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Sorry for the noobish question but how does one switch the sim card from the 3G to the 3GS?

4. arabprlnce78 thread starter macrumors newbie

More questions!

Thanks mate. So even though the 3Gs is activated to her and her details are on the SIM card we should be able to just swap cards? Tech told me if we tried swapping cards the phones would lock up and be unusable.

What's the process than to get this to work? We backup our phones via iTunes, erase all the data on them and power them down. Remove SIM cards, install my 3G card in her 3Gs phone and vice versa, power on than restore our info via iTunes again? Seems simple enough but I don't want to waste the money and have her get the 3Gs if it's just not going to work. Worse case scenario is it doesn't work and she keeps the 3Gs and I'm down some money.

AP

5. Surely Guest

Surely

You take the sim card out of the 3G slot (look on the top of your iPhone) and put it in the 3GS' sim card slot.

6. djuarez03 macrumors regular

You put the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again. :)

Actually, before, when trying to put a 2G sim into a 3G iPhone, it wouldn't work supposedly. Could something like this happen again?

7. Surely Guest

Surely

2G and 3G have different data plans. It is a different situation.

The 3G and 3GS have the same data plans. I have no confirmation from AT&T, but since there is no difference in price in using the 3G or the 3GS, what would they care if you swapped sims?

8. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Does the internet / data plan switch with when the SIM is swapped? My old "Moto rocker" (on the fam Plan with my 3G) doesnt have the internet and that phone/acct is three years old.