New iPhone 4.1 Multitasking feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GonzagaDynasty, Oct 12, 2010.

1. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

So I just got my new iPHone 4, and previously had a 3gs running on 3.1.3.. It was jailbroken and I had backgrounder installed. I liked how I could choose when to have an APP running in the background, or when to close it.

With the new multitasking feature on the new 4. software, I noticed that anytime you open an app and close it, it shows up on the multitasking bar.. I'd rather not keep the app running at all times.. Am I doing something wrong? When I exit an APP, I want it to be closed, unless I choose to have it continue running. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That's how it works. Anytime you open an app it will stay running until you quit it from the multi-tasking bar (i.e. hold for 2 seconds on an app until the jiggle starts).

3. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

Oh god.. This is a terrible feature.. Does it drain the battery, too?

4. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

LOL...this coming from someone who used Backgrounder? It's a hell of a lot easier on the battery than that thing!

5. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

No need to start a fight. I was simply asking. Backgrounder is easy to use..You can chose when to run something in the background or not.. It didn't seem to impact my battery when not in use at all... If it does, that's news to me..

My question was, If I do not want to spend the time exiting all of the apps in multitasking, is it going to drain my battery?

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It takes a little time to get used to but ultimately being able to switch from one app to another without going back to the home screen is fairly efficient. My experience shows no particular battery drain.

7. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I will try and get used to it then.. When you're done playing around on your phone or whatever, do you then go and exit out of all the APPS running in Multitasking, or do you just leave them there?

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

This IS NOT how multi-tasking works in iOS4!

The multi-tasking bar is just an application switcher showing your most currently run apps. It by no means, means they are still running. iOS4 keeps the most recently run apps in the background (sort of, some save their state, some play audio, some finish uploading then quit) and is smart enough to know when to shut down other apps that haven't been used when the memory is needed.

Basically, just trust iOS4 to do it's job. There is no need to delete any of the apps from the multi-tasking bar as most of them aren't running anyway.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It doesn't drain my battery so I don't really care. I only quit all the apps out when I realize I have like 50 open. And that isn't very often.

10. GonzagaDynasty thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I will trust my phone, now! Thank you so much for the reply!

11. Tu13es macrumors regular

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon