New iphone 4 32gb today - chicago

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymouz1828, Jul 28, 2010.

  1. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2009
    #1
    I just got my iphone 4! I went to apple store in chicago around noon and waited in line for 10 minutes - about 3 people on the line .. just 'walked in'. My iphone 4 (82030) does not have yellow spot, no yellow tinted camera, and no green blob in the camera. The battery percentage was 80%.

    The antenna seems to drop 1-2 when you bridge the antenna. I am getting about 2-3 bars at my friend's place in chinatown right now. I tried calling some of his friends to meet-up and lost signal (grrrr) when bridging the antenna. I am definitely getting a case but not happy with drop call - i will use 30 days to decide about return or not.

    Anyone in chicago area?? How are the signal in chinatown chicago?? What about signal around chicago?? Any drop call when you bridge the antenna?? Let me know thanks.
     
  2. Prelude2elude macrumors member

    Prelude2elude

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2010
    #2
    when i had the first gen iphone i would lose signal all the time when i was near mccormick place and wouldnt regain signal till i reached the cna building. it was annoying as hell.:mad:

    with the iphone 4 i dont have that issue at all. the phone currently has a bumper on it.:D
     
  3. bgoudelo macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2007
    #3
    Just got my iPhone 4 about an hour ago and I'm only getting 3 bars at my parent's house in 3G coverage. I did the speed test and the speed is slow. I'm wondering if I have a bad phone or if I should drive around some and see if the signal improves...
     
  4. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

    ReallyBigFeet

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #4
    I'm in the West Loop typing this right now....3 bars (used to be 5 before the 'patch' to address bar algorithm), fast 3G data speeds (surfing these forums) and I've yet to have a dropped call while working in the area. I commute via train from the western burbs and it works well along the entire route. I'm all over downtown and other than elevators inside of brick buildings, never really have any signal issues.

    My iPhone 4 gets a MUCH clearer signal than did my 2G and 3G phones prior.
     
  5. adster macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2008
    #5
    I just got a 32GB iPhone 4 today as well in LA. Almost same story, walked in, 3 ppl in line, walked out.

    I had a launch day iP4 and returned it cause of proximity/bluetooth/antenna issues. That was a week 24. This new one is a week 30, just like yours, and has 4.0.1 installed on it.

    Its tough for me to do antenna testing since I get awful signal normally in my apartment and around the block. Anyways, hope you like your new iP4! And let me be the first to respond to my post by saying: Cool story, bro! I know, I know.
     
  6. impulse462 Suspended

    impulse462

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2009
    #6
    I'm actually in Chicago visiting from Michigan atm and I have a steady 5 bars however my 3G download speeds seem to vary

    Last night at around 10 my 3G download speed was at 850kbps but tonight around 1030pm my download speed is at 1947 Kbps. In Michigan I get a solid 2500kbps but I guess a lot more people are using the network in chitown
     
  7. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2009
    #7
    Green blob when you take pictures happens under florescent lights. If this doesnt occur then, yay, if it does then :(
     
  8. brown.eyed.girl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #8
    Sorry, can't comment on signal since I don't have mine yet, but do you know how much stock they had, approximately? Did they have 16GB?
     
  9. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

    CooKieMoNs7eR

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2009
  10. anonymouz1828 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2009
    #10
    Yeah .. my iphone 4 came with 4.0.1 firmware too. And it also has antenna issue .. I thought I could prove myself and many threads that iphone 4 antenna issue is all media exaggeration and happens to few unhappy users but it seems to be a widespread issue .. i would say 90% iphone 4 have antenna problem .. the other 10%, it would come from users on the forum reporting to have no problem - lucky!?!?

    This afternoon, I went back to apple store to try some iphone 4s on the counter .. i tested the antenna on 5 devices .. most of them dropped 2 bars within a minute .. only ONE dropped 1 bar and it took really long time (3 minutes) to drop the one bar.

    At home, i tried some way of isolating the antenna. I used a thin plastic wrap just around the bottom corner and still dropped 2-3 bars. I tried a tissue on my hand and still dropped 2-3 bars. I folded the tissue and dropped 1-2 bars.

    On second time to apple store, there were one person on the line. It should have a plenty of iphone 4 in chicago.
     

Share This Page