New Iphone 4 and Lock button Rattle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandonb123, Jul 20, 2011.

1. brandonb123 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Ordered my Iphone 4 off the apple website last week.

The phone is excellent I am loving it so far!

I noticed the other night when i shook it from side to side I heard a rattle - sounded like it was coming from the top/behind the apple logo on the back. After some googling - i determined that its the lock button as when I press down on it the sounds goes away.

Unfortunately the closest Apple store is a 3 hour plane ride away (on the east coast of canada). Also, if I were to send it away and what not I would be without a phone.

So is this rattleing due to a loose button housing? Can I physically tighten it up if I were to open up the phone? Or is it just a loose part and thats that?

Yes I know I am being a little picky here but I just wanted to get some opinions after spending $800.

Thanks!

2. Hoppesangen macrumors member

That a very nitpicky thing to change your phone for. The lock button being loose is pretty normal on most all iPhones as far as I can tell. Mine does the same thing. As long as it remains nice and tactile and doesnt stick I wouldn't have anything to worry about.

3. brandonb123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I realize that I am being picky, I just feel if I could physically tighten something inside I would go through the process!

The button feels fine and does not wobble very much - a little bit of play but thats normal for a button!

Its a weird noise as the object cause it shifts left and right as the phone is moved in those directions.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Just call Apple. They will send a replacement. When you get it you return your original phone. Simple.

Not sure I would care about a switch rattling when I shake it. :confused:

5. brdwygurl macrumors regular

Does it rattle if you tap near the camera lens? There were a bunch of posts about this initially and I think the consensus was it was the auto focus.

Here is a very long thread from apple support:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2481824?start=0&tstart=0

6. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

7. djr7572 macrumors regular

djr7572

Mine has a very faint rattle. Seems to be the volume buttons on mine. When I cover the buttons with my finger and shake the phone, the noise is gone. Does it bother me that they make noise? Eh, a little. Does it bother me enough to make me want to take my phone back? No. Like a previous poster said, there's a lot of discussion about this and it doesn't sound like it's out of the ordinary. What I do find strange is, different people report the noise coming from different places (the on/off button, the camera, etc). Not sure why this faint rattling sound would be coming from different places and not just one place depending on who you ask.

At any rate, as long the buttons work, I'm not going to worry too much about it. I do kinda wonder if Apple is aware of these reports, though ... ?