New iPhone 4 - bad battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by runastun564, Aug 29, 2010.

1. runastun564 macrumors newbie

I just recieved my iPhone on Thursday and I'm starting to think I have a lemon. I charged it over night Thursday and unplugged it Friday morning at 10am. By 10:30pm my battery was at 5%. With my 3GS, I would reach 5% at about 2 or 3 in the morning with the same type of typical daily use.

Since apple is advertising this battery as being better than the 3GS's, I'm inclined to believe I might have a lemon. So my question for everyone else is, what is the typical battery life loss per hour? I'm seeing around a 10% drop per hour with normal use. Thanks in advance

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

I've read somewhere charging your battery over night is bad for it. I don't do it but if you bring it into apple im sure they will replace it because you have just bought it. Just go in and compare it to your 3GS and I'm sure they will return it.

3. runastun564 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm so you think they'll agree that a 12 hour battery life for an new iPhone 4 is grounds for replacement?

4. tigert07 macrumors regular

Well, I've had my iPhone 4 since launch day and I can still go well over a day. I'm pretty active on it too. Checking e-mail, using safari and playing games. I feel like I get an entire day no problem.

5. runastun564 thread starter macrumors newbie

So with that type of usage how many hours would you say your battery lasts?

6. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Same here. I have yet to completely drain it from a single day's usage. Unless the OP is streaming video non-stop from morning to night I would think it could be a baddy.

7. tigert07 macrumors regular

I generally get just over a day before I charge it again. I really do enjoy the battery life on this thing. You will be able to exchange for a new one though. They like to keep their customers happy. If you mention the battery I'm sure you'll be in and out in a matter of 10 minutes or so.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Try a hard reset and see if that helps.

And if you set it up from a aback up instead of new try setting it up as new if the hard reset doesn't help.

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Charging your iPhone overnight will not harm it in any way. As with most, if not all, lithium ion battery cell phones, the iPhone has a smart charger. It monitors the charging and shuts off when the phone is fully charged.

10. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I'd wait to check the situation after a few days. My new phones have always had terrible first day battery life due to increased use in setting up, and generally just 'playing' with them more....

11. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Check your settings, sometimes you may believe you set them in a way and then is not.

I personally found out that notification was draining the battery visibly and I had only facebook on. I don't know if was facebook or the notification system, but since fb was buggy with that release I turned that off and my battery last all day.

12. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

charging overnight does not damage the battery. it stops charging once its full.

sounds like you need a exchange.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

My battery life is very similar to yours. I am surprised by the ones who say they have never drained the battery in a single day. I frequently have to charge it half way through the day. You might want to check the brightness. I've found 50% brightness or above drains the battery quickly. Of course that makes the screen look a lot nicer too.