New Iphone 4 from Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone Newbie, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Iphone Newbie macrumors newbie

Hi all

I had to get my phone replaced today in regent st, and i was under the impression that replacement phones were refurbs, but judging by my serial number it was made on 5th Feb 2011 is that correct, the serial number starts

Thanks

2. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I doubt it is new. Apple dont give out new iphones as replacements. It wont be a refurb either. As I have had mines replaced before, Apple state the handset that is given is good as new and is a remanufactured handset, built up from parts (thats what they told me). So it looks good as new. Cant explain the serial number date thing though.

3. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

4. Iphone Newbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Its all very wierd, my warranty based on the serial now says this:

Telephone Technical Support: Active

Your product is eligible for complimentary telephone technical support during the first 90 days.
    Estimated Expiration Date: June 16, 2011

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active

Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: March 16, 2012

I thought warranties get carried over from your old phone, maybe i just got lucky!

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This image is for refurbished iPods, but it explains what a refurbish is from Apple.
    [​IMG]

On all of Apple Refurbs, you get a new casing and a new battery, but the internal hardware was from a previous model that had its memory wiped clean. That serial number does not mean that it was made on feb 5th, but rather that it was serviced on the 5th week of this year.

6. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Just out of interest, what happened to your old iPhone to get it replaced?

7. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

The phones used as relacements can be either new or refurbished and you won't know which until you see the serial.
    You got a new iPhone.

8. iFitz macrumors regular

Replacement phones can indeed be new, depending on whether or not there were any refurbs available. When I got my original iPhone 4 replaced, I got a new one. According to the genius, there were no refubs because it was too soon after the release of the phone. It still came in the "refurb" box but was a brand new never used unit.

9. Iphone Newbie thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i wasnt planning on getting it replaced and didnt think they would really but my lock button rattled and my camera started to freeze every so often meaning i had to turn the phone off to get it to work.

With ref to the warranty info i posted above it looks like the phone is covered until march 12, does that sound right casue i thought you just get what was left on your old phone

10. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Ditto. I've had several replacements. And they've all been new. Heck, my first iphone lasted 15 minutes (I made it as far as my car before realizing my home button didnt work).

11. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This happened to me with my original iPhone. I bought my iPhone on June 29, 2007 and at some point during one of my appointment at the Genius Bar (my original iPhone got replaced 8 times the whole time I owned it) my warranty date got pushed back to November 2008 (additional 5 months). I didn't realize it until I went in and was prepared to pay for Out of Warranty service, but they actually honored it.

He showed me on his computer that technically my warranty should have expired because I didn't purchase Apple Care and I was well past the 1 year mark, but his computer showed that I was covered until the end of November.

So sometimes you just get lucky.

12. darkside flow macrumors 6502

I recently got my iPhone replaced (bought July 2010) and got a serial number starting with 6Q. Apple site says warranty is good until Feb 2012 so looks like I got an extra 7 months warranty. Good for resale value I suppose.