New iphone 4 out of box, SCRATCHED!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paemt104433, Jul 20, 2011.

1. paemt104433 macrumors newbie

So i just received my new iphone 4 yesterday and as i peel the stickers off the phone i see 2 small shiny knicks in the metal bezel on the left side. It seems like they were goofing off in the manufacturing. Or the people inspecting the phone before they sent it out didn't really care much. WTF?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Wait, what?!? You bought an iPhone 4 now?
    Take it back, get your money back and wait 2 months for iPhone 5.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

What the above poster said. Buying a new iPhone 4 now is bad enough but buying a new one that's damaged is unacceptable.

4. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Or even just wait for the iPhone 5 and then just buy the iPhone 4 when the price drops.

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

This

6. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Same thing happened to me a while ago.

Peeled off the factory plastic protectors, and there were severe nicks on the antenna band near the docking port. Additionally, there was a scratch on the touch screen about 1-1/2" long (may have been just on the oleophobic coating - as I didn't drag my nail across it to feel for a divot, but nonetheless...)

:mad:

Problem was remedied because I quickly learned the phone had an intermittent vibrate motor. So coolness prevailed with a swap.

But yeah, even producing millions of these things -- Q.C. is everything, and shouldn't go downhill just because of higher production output. (I know: this is the real world.)

7. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

From the 2 suggestions above, I would opt for the iPhone 5... especially if you are planning to sign a 2 year contract.

8. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

You're still under the 14 day return policy so do it and wait for the iPhone 5. :cool:

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

So who's been talking to Steve Job's to confirm the iphone5 is being released in 2 months time ?

No release date has been confirmed so your listening to rumor and speculation.

Sep 11 - Oct 11 have been speculated but so has early 2012 too.

Heck even the specs of the phone as speculation too.

Regarding the ip4 you have received with damages on it is unacceptable.
    Even tho your going to end up having scratches here and there over usage its not fair you receive it in that condition.

Its a risk if your going to be locked on an 18-24 month contract and you will want the iphone 5. Although you could sell the ip4 to fund an outright purchase of the ip5 !

Personally I refuse to be locked into lengthy contracts and simply purchase the phone outright on payg. The only difference is that I'm paying upfront for the phone and not over a period of a lengthy contract. In the uk the payg tariff's are on parr with monthly contracts.

If the ip5 gives me significantly more than what I have with my ip4 then I'll purchase it outright.

10. ckc macrumors regular

Just wondering why if you are happy to buy a phone outright you do not opt for a monthly contract. :confused:

I have a monthly rolling contract with Vodafone for a iP4 that I purchased from Apple and the montly contract call rates are a lot cheaper than PAYG are.

11. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Can't speak for others but personally I'm buying the iPhone 5 outright for £500 or whatever and then using it on the £10 Giffgaff sim because:
    1) I won't be locked into a 2 year contract
    2) The phone will be unlocked (big deal as I travel quite a lot
    3) I don't have to top up when I don't want to

For me buying the phone outright and using Giffgaff for 24 months continuously would be 500 + 240 = £740 which is far cheaper than what the iPhone 4 contracts were at launch and perhaps still now.

12. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I high;y doubt it will be a IP5.. Most likely the 4S... They will come out with the 5 next year MAYBE..

I hope everyone paid attention and that apple doesn't HAVE to release the iphone's at the same time every year..

I'm waiting for whatever is coming out in the next couple of weeks or months...

My BB just about had it..

James

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This. I don't know why people recommend going with a dumbphone or waiting when there's no guarantee of anything. Dude needs a phone now and not everyone needs to show off with bleeding edge. My wife's Mac Air broke two months before the expected refresh that may or may not have included the MacBook. I wouldn't tell her to wait to months or give her a wall calendar to keep track of her/kids appointments so I bought her a MacBook. /rant

14. i4Collin macrumors regular

Take it back and get a refund. 2 months from now there will be a new iPhone out for the same price as the current iPhone 4.

15. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Mark my words, it will come in 2011.

Early 2012, can't believe how many gullible people there are, Apple has waited over 1 year to update, wait closer to 2 years to update certainly isn't an intelligent business decision and Steve Jobs knows it.