new iPhone 4 owner afraid of jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by meirdo, Aug 22, 2010.

1. meirdo macrumors newbie

Hello

I received my iphone 4 yesterday and this is my first time owning an iphone. I've read about jailbreaking all over the internet and heard that there's a new and easy method using jailbreakme.com however I am unaware of consequences that may occur like bricking the phone.

The problem here is that I ordered my iphone online through Apple UK and the courier has forwarded it to my country and right here there is no support for the iphone 4 yet. So what I'm asking is, what is the worst thing that could result to my iphone after jailbreaking? and if it is bricked can I solve it on my own?

Thanks.

2. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

If you have the latest updates jailbreakme won't work any longer. I personally would not jailbreak my phone but that's just me.

3. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

If the phone has the 4.0.2 system, you will be unable to jailbreak using current methods, period. If it's 4.0 or 4.0.1, the worst thing that can happen is something goes wrong, you restore it back to factory and perhaps try it again. It is not possible to "brick" an iPhone without taking extraordinary means, such as damaging the hardware.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

BTW, if you do jailbreak your phone, do not update it when apple asks on itunes. The update will kill your jailbreak.

5. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

+1. The benefits are many, the risks are none. There are so many helpful and useful things you can do with a jailbreak, not to mention cool. I was like you once, unsure if it was worth it. Now I can't imagine not being jailbroken.

6. iPhonelover2010 macrumors member

You can do a lot of cool stuff with your phone if you jailbreak it. I jailbroke my 3GS when the jailbreak for iOS4 was released. However, I decided to get rid of it because Cydia would crash a lot and my phone started to do weird things...i.e., the keyboard that pops up during the universal search (on the last homescreen on the left, the black one) would start popping up on my other homescreens with the apps/icons. I do miss biteSMS though :( Its up to you, try it out, if you don't like it, you can always update to 4.0.2 and remove the jailbreak.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If you are afraid of jailbreaking, then don't do it. Peace of mind is more important than any feature you can gain from jailbreaking. I say this as someone who jailbroke the original iPhone and since then hates using any iPhone that isn't jailbroken.