New Iphone 4 some questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Jan 27, 2011.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I have the iphone 3G and wife is getting i4. How do I transfer her contacts from her previous phone to i4. is it just taking the sim out of the old phone and putting it in the i4. Or its a different process?

How will I sync her phone. I have an itunes account. Will I have to make a new account for her. Can we buy 1 app and share it in 2 phones. if this is possible then how? Should the app be downloaded in itunes and then synced, or it does not matter how we download the app itunes or either phone.

2. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Ok, I'm assuming your wife does not have an iPhone right now. The sim card probably won't work for copying contacts because the iPhone 4 uses a micro sim. Does the phone she has now sync contacts with your computer? If so, it should be pretty easy to get the contacts onto the iPhone. Are you using a PC or a Mac? Do you have MobileMe?

As for the apps, I am currently sharing apps between four iPhones with no problems. You just need the computer you are syncing with to be authorized for the apps you're syncing to the phone. So she can get her own account and you can both share apps as long as the computer you are syncing the phones to is authorized for both accounts.

Hope this helps,

3. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

The phone she is using right now is a LG shine and no she does not sync it to the Mac. I have a macbook, and itunes account. I just wanted to know if I plug her new iphone 4 will itunes recognize as a separate device and sync it

So do I need to go to att store to get the contacts to her iphone then.

I have macbook running tiger, so I need to upgrade my OSX to SL first coz I read that iphone 4 needs Snow leopard.

4. Cartoonkid macrumors 6502

Cartoonkid

When you plug in the new phone, iTunes will recognize it, but it won't sync automatically the first time. You need to set the sync options on the phone, via iTunes, and then it will sync going forward.

As for getting her contacts of the old phone, short of syncing it with your Mac, I'm pretty sure you'll need to have ATT do that. They did it for my wife's dumb-phone when she got her iPhone.

5. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Yes, your Macbook will recognize her iPhone as a separate device.

The easiest thing for your contacts would probably be to go to AT&T and have them do a transfer. I believe they have a computer that can do contact transfers between any phones (at least the Best Buy Mobile I got mine at did).

I did a search, and it looks like you need Leopard and higher to sync with the iPhone 4. So I believe you will need to upgrade your system.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Also if your wife's LG stores the contacts on the SIM and if you don't want to go to an ATT store you can try cutting the SIM to the micro SIM form factor (google it). Then put the LG SIM in the ip4, go to Settings-->Mail, Contacts and Calendars scroll down to "Import SIM Contacts" and it will copy them over. Then put the new SIM back in the phone as the LG one is not good anymore.

7. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for your quick reply. I think we will take the phone to ATT store and transfer her contracts through the store. I just need to get SL and install it over tiger, hope it goes well. Do i have to buy ilife 11, or itunes iphoto garageband etc will still be on there if i install over tiger and not do a clean install.

8. vachargerfan macrumors regular

They will do it for free if you get the phone from them. My mom moved from a Razor to an iPhone 4 and they did it for her. took all of about 3 mins

9. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Wow, that's a nice service. I wish I had known that before I bought the Snow Leopard upgrade.

10. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

So are you saying that apple will install Sow leopard or will they transfer the contacts?

11. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

One last Q. Once I upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, will I be then able to do an software update for itunes and download itunes 10.x whatever so that i can sync the iphone4. Or will I have to buy ilife 11 separately to do that.

12. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

iTunes is free. You can just update it or download the latest version from Apple.com.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iTunes 10 is a free download and that's all you need to sync with the iPhone 4.