New Iphone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Queo, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Queo macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

So... I just got my new iPhone today. Luckily it came with iOS 4.0.1 so jailbreaking is still possible.

Just a quick question. I saved (I think) my SHSH blob files with umbrella. The files wen't somewhere because they're not on my PC. I read something about them being stored in Cydua or something.

[*]Am I good to go to jailbreak my iPhone now, knowing I can that when ever I wish I can restore it to the original state? (in case I need something from the warantee)

[*]Or is the jailbreak process completly reversible, regardless me having saved the SHS blob files? (From what I read, the SHS blob files are just in case I uptade say to iOS 4.0.2 and then need to downgrade back to 4.0.1, correct?

[*]Is there a way (and should I) save the SHSH files in my PC? or is the umbrella sotage process reliable?

Sorry for all the newb questions but I just wanna be 100% sure I won't mess anything before I jailbreak.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The blobs you saved are for 4.0.2 even though you're on 4.0.1. :apple: is no longer signing 4.0.1.

But since you are on 4.0.1, you're free to jailbreak. Just make sure you don't accidentally update.

3. Queo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the fast reply.

I see...
    Ok. So if I jailbreak and later need to take it back to the store for whatever reason, all I need to do is go to iTunes and restore to a previous restore point, right?

4. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

No, if you ever need to restore your phone (or get a new one) you can ONLY restore to 4.0.2 and will be unable to jailbreak.

5. Queo thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though I'm currently on iOS 4.0.1 and saved my SHSH blob files?

6. supervelous macrumors 6502

I think what they're trying to tell you is since Apple stopped signing 4.0.1, when you save your SHSH blob files through Cydia, it saved 4.0.2....since I believe Cydia has to get your signature from Apple and store it for future use, in your case since Apple stopped signing 4.0.1 they couldn't save that for you.

Edit - my roomate is in the same boat as you, got 4.0.1 and jailbroke but since it's after signing period, he couldn't save his 4.0.1 blob. So, he has to be careful to not upgrade and not do something to his phone that would need a restore, or else he will lose his jailbreak, and wait for the next one, which should be 4.1, not 4.0.2

7. Queo thread starter macrumors newbie

HHmm.. got it.

Then, if something goes wrong, I have to wait to wait for iOS 4.1 since the iphone devteam said they're gonna wait for that update to release the new jailbreak.

Ok. Going for it then. Something I should look out for?
    Or is it as simple as it seems? Go to jailbreakme.com in the iPhones safari and slide the bar?

8. Queo thread starter macrumors newbie

Just one more question...

Every time I plug in my iPhone, iTunes pops up this msg:

"An update to the carrier settings for your iPhone is available.
    Would you like to download it now?"

This doesnt have anything to do with iOS updates and thus making jailbreak not work, right?

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The carrier file update should be fine.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

11. Queo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

Worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help guys

12. Queo thread starter macrumors newbie

After jailbreaking, I went to the Cydia icon, opened it and it said I should do an essetial upadate. It download, updated and did a iPhone restart.

The apps I have here on my pc wont sync with the iPhone.

[​IMG]

I think this is the msg one gets when trying to sync apps to an non-jaibroken iPhone.
    I went to jailbreakme.com to try the jailbreak again and it says:

"Oops... It looks like the installer crashed last time you tried to jailbreak. :(
    It might work if you try again"

and then when I slide the bar it says:

"Do you want to jailbreak?

Warning: It looks like you're already jailbroken. Doing it again might be harmful.

CANCEL / JAILBREAK"

What should I do?

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

You don't understand what jailbreaking is. Jailbreaking is nothing more then the initial insertion of unsigned code to allow more unsigned code to be installed later. If cydia is on your phone you are jailbroken and trying to jailbreak again isn't going to help you and might screw up your install.

As far as the problem with syncing apps goes your either trying to sync cracked apps (without the prerequisite software needed) or phone isn't setup for the account used to purchase the app.

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Did you buy Angry Birds???? if you didn't you should start there.

That error is typical when you are trying to install "stolen" app from the app store but you are missing an important part of the process.

If you paid for the App, I apologies in advance but that is a cracked IPA, you should contact iTunes Support. Error: ( 0xE8008001) is a Non-Authorized user.