New Iphone 4s Battery Replacement Charges Up to 90%?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pauly800, Apr 3, 2016.

1. pauly800 macrumors regular

I went to a repair shop where they replaced my dock pin and its great. I then went to replace my battery because battery goes out at 20%. When they replaced the battery, i noticed my battery was only at 37% or so. I then used it a bit till it reached to around 12 percent. Around the time it was around 20 percent, i had changed it to low battery mode. By the time it was 12 percent and in low battery mode, i charged it and it went to around 48%. I then left it charged for many hours.

I look at my iphone now and its at 90% only. Can someone explain to me why this is the case? Could it be because i charged it while in low battery mode? Did i have to wait till the battery drains before i recharge it? As of now, its 90% still.

I was told if theres any issue, i could go back there. But i assume this might be common? But this is a brand new battery...

2. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay besides this, now my battery drains 1 percent every minute it seems. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? This is basically my 2nd iphone 4s battery replacement. I am starting to think this has nothing with the battery. The first battery replacement, i had issues where battery would turn off at 20%, then 40%, then 60 and then finally 80%. Then after i went to repair shop for them to replace the dock pins... i noticed it lasted till 20% before it shut off. Of course i wanted to fix this issue as well and this new battery... will not charge up to more than 90%. Then once at 90% even when doing nothing to the phone and checking it... it drains 1% every minute.

I mean, i can't be getting 2 faulty battery replacements right? Because im pretty certain there is something wrong with my iphone. Getting frustrated i paid for these battery replacements only to have this same issue. The thing is i think i rather not even replaced this battery since at least it went from 100% all the way to 20% and it didn't drain at all.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Were the batteries genuine Apple replacements or substitutes? And was the replacement done by Apple or a cell phone repair shop (of which there are many)? Some replacement batteries are cheaply made - not saying that's what you got, but it is possible.

4. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Wow that is crazy, I remember after an update a while ago my phone did that and everyone said it was the battery swapped batteries out into another phone and it worked fine. I say it can be the update even tho no one believes me...

5. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Both the apple battery replacements were substitutes. It was done at a cell phone repair shop. However... i find it extremely unlikely both batteries would have these issues though.

The thing is i recalled my battery first went bad when i updated the IOS to 6 or 7 i believe. For a long time i did not ever update my IOS. So i was using IOS 6 i believe. At the moment... im using ios 9 but i have update to upgrade to another higher up version of ios 9. So should i do that?

The thing is i think there is something wrong with my phone. However i read so many ppl complain about battery drains. This new battery replacement is horrible. Max is 90% and immediately drops down very quickly even when doing nothing on the phone. Even that battery that shut off at 80%... at least it stayed at 100 percent for a very long time before dropping to 90s etc. This battery just drains it the moment its from 90 downwards.

What should i do now? Just update IOS to the latest 9.XX?

Should i just factory restore my entire phone?

6. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

Hi, I experienced battery dropped 1% every 5 seconds and the back became hotter and hotter. I went to the Apple Store, they give me a fresh install iOS (the latest version because Apple Store only provide the latest one). Then everything went well. This problem happened on my 5S but I don't think it is applicable to 4S because the hardware of 4S cannot afford the latest iOS.

I also experienced the iPhone shut down when its battery is 30% but that's probably because of the extremely low temperature. Maybe it is the time to upgrade your 4S to a new model now, such as SE.

7. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. But for anyone with an iphone 4s, has anyone tried youinc's method?

8. pauly800 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone here any other ideas? It charges up to 90%. Then when i use it, it keep drops all the way down very fast.