New iPhone 4S - can I do a custom restore of texts, etc?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iAddiction, Jan 21, 2014.

1. iAddiction macrumors newbie

Just got an iPhone 4S replacement from Apple and it has iOS6 installed!!! YES!!!! (had the dreaded greyed out wifi)

The problem I'm told is that if I hook up this iPhone and choose "restore from backup" iTunes will restore my phone including dreaded iOS7!!! I want to KEEP this phone iOS6 AS IS. Is there anyway to restore my phone, and get my texts, voice memos (all my song ideas), notepads, etc back on my phone without doing the full restore? Most of all I want my texts back, though my voice memos and notes would be a cherry on top.

I like iOS6 and want to stay

Can you explain how I can make this happen?

2. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

So you mean you want to restore from a backup? But without using iTunes' restore function? You could go to Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content & Settings. It should after doing its thing present you with the setup wizard in which it'll give you the option to restore a backup through iTunes or iCloud.

Thing is though, if it's a backup from a newer OS version (iOS 7) it won't let you restore through iCloud. It will let you restore through iTunes if you spoof the version number of the backup with something like iExplorer. Just a simple plist edit I believe.

3. iAddiction thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I want to restore from backup, but my last backup of my PREVIOUS phone was on iOS7. So I want to restore from iTunes (didn't have an iCloud backup), but do a restore where I put the texts, contacts, apps, etc back in WITHOUT ending up on iOS7. It just feels like the 4S works better on iOS6.

Is this possible?

Another idea is to start fresh with this phone. However I do NOT want to lose my old texts etc... in which case it's it possible to find the iPhone backup file and copy and store it somewhere else for future safekeeping purposes?