New iPhone 4S from iPhone 4 (iOS 4.x), help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kaenon, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Kaenon macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2011
    I am still relatively very new the the Apple/Mac world and I want to be sure that I'm doing the right things while setting up my new 4S tomorrow.

I have an iMac and iPhone 4 (CDMA model) not running iOS5.
    I am buying the 4S tomorrow.

Do I just plug the 4S into my iMac and let iTunes sync with all that I had before?
    I don't care about saving texts, or anything like that...just the media and apps stored on iTunes.

2. Kaenon thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2011
  3. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Nov 5, 2007
    It should just work like all the others. Plug it up, it will have an option to set up as a new phone or use a backup from an existing phone number. Select that and away you go.
  4. verwon macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2011
    The phone should be on iOS 5 to make sure the restore works and is compatible with the iPhone 4S
  5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Nov 5, 2007
    Yeah that would be a good idea as well!
  6. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    So before I sold my iPhone 4 running 4.0.1 I backed it up in tunes thinking that when I got my 4s I would just restore from this backup. Is this not possible. I have heard people have lost Siri by doing this. Any truth in this? Thanks.
  7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2008
    upgrade to iOS5 on your iPHone4 first. its free and should only take a few mins total (10-20 depending on internet)
  8. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2011
    If you don't care about texts, phone settings, call history, etc, then yeah iTunes will sync over your music and apps (as long as your current iPhone 4 has the "sync my music" and "Sync my apps" settings turned on).

If you do want the device settings, etc, then my recommendation is to update your iphone 4 to iOS 5 and then back it up. When setting up your 4S, restore from that iOS 5 backup, and it should be seamless.

Word of warning though: When 4.0 came out, I had my 3GS replaced. Unfortunately, the replacement 3GS was running 4.0, and I had backed up from a 3.x.x device. The restoration was only partially successful and many of my photos were not restored. (Thank God I saved them separately on my laptop!)