Resolved New iPhone 4S has less ram than new Blackberry Torch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Oct 11, 2011.

1. AndrewR23, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why would that be insane?
    All about the user experience, nothing else
    I don't care what the RAM is if it works and works well

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

Heres how the iPhone performs relative to other phones:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

Whats the point of specs again? Oh yeah, to make the phone fast. Well when the iPhone beats all other phones, sometimes by a factor of 2, I think its safe to say we can ignore specs.

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Why is it insane?

Apple products are never known for the best specs. They are known for simple and great UI with great user experience. Hardware doesn't matter much as long as it runs smooth..

5. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

It has been given what it needs. And nothing more.

Remember, the BB os is not nearly as well designed as iOS. Then again, it's not nearly as capable either.

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

If you don't know any thing about ram why would it be insane? Not knowing anythingl aboy ram means it is an irreverent specification that shouldn't bother you. The iPhone has enough ram to do what it needs.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Those are heavy gpu based test. The iPhone 4s has a good gpu. But it does not test everything else and knight pointed out very clearly in another thread it is not an apples to apple test.

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I take back my insane comment.

and it does not bother me. But I've seen hundreds of threads about Ram so I wanted to see what those people would say about a blackberry having more Ram.

9. knoxtown macrumors 6502

I see what you did there:D

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Who cares? Blackberries are a thing of the past.

11. adztaylor, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

adztaylor macrumors 68000

If RAM is seriously high up on your priority for a smartphone then get the Blackberry Torch. Meanwhile us iPhone users will enjoy a better experience on our "less specced" devices.

12. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

To compare different platforms built on different architectures is a complete waste of time. There is no relevance.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My work BB sits under my desk at my office on a charger permanently with call forwarding to my personal iPhone :D

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

Two of them are GPU tests. The others are CPU intensive browser tests, which the iPhone kills the Android "superphones" in.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

As people have already said it's not just about the RAM. So what if the Blackberry has more RAM. it's not how much RAM there is but how it's used and if it's optimised. It's all about the user experience and how smooth it is. I'm still baffled how people get caught up in these spec comparisons. They don't look at the big picture.

----------

lol.

18. docgerrard macrumors 6502

As no one has stated.. it is not confirmed that the iPhone will only have 512mb RAM. the same rumors were going around last year that the 4 would only have 256.

lets just wait and see guys.

but please don't be naive and say that we shouldn't be upset if there isn't 1gb of ram. everything may be optimized for 512 and we may not see any differences, but there would definitely be more possibilities if there were 1gb ram, especially with multitasking and the potential for new apps.

EDIT: apparently it is confirmed now. sure my user experience may not suffer, but its a shame that everything made for the iPhone 4s from now on will be limited by 512 ram

19. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think it's a safe bet considering the developer from Epic pretty much stated so when commenting on Infinity Blade 2.

20. xpcker macrumors regular

its just a RAM mannagement issue. put a 512 osx vs a 512mb windows 7 and watch :D

21. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

At the end of the day, have you used a Blackberry Torch? RIM can't make a good product now.

22. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

rim is dead, who cares how much ram is in them.

23. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think of it as a good thing only because Apple is really good with developing thier software and they manage to get their phones to perform very will with 512MB ram, not much to say about RIM as their new phones are just as slow bc of their new OS, not the phone.

24. Nioxic macrumors regular

my desktop pc has 8GB memory.. I've never used more than 3gb at one time..

talk about waste? :p

besides, an app thats made to run with 1gb ram will run HORRIBLY if at all on the iPhone 4 (the normal one ;P)

a too big of a jump would piss off old iPhone users, being unable to use new apps etc.

besides.. do you even know how much memory you NEED in your iPhone? (people with the iPhone 4, running iOS 5 says its perfectly fine...)

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

which Knight pointed out that iOS5 is running a different Javescript engine that is newer and Android currently does not have access to so it is still not an Apples to Apples test. The Javascript engine for iOS5 has far number of new things added to the webkit browser that Android is not going to have access to for a little while. This is a big part of the improvements is in that area of the code.