Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The Blackberry Torch 2 now has 768MB of RAM compared to the 9800's 512MB.

I dont know anything about RAM but that would be insane if a blackberry had more RAM than a new iPhone...

http://www.thoughts.com/attwolfpack/the-4g-blackberry-torch-9810

Heres how the iPhone performs relative to other phones:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

Whats the point of specs again? Oh yeah, to make the phone fast. Well when the iPhone beats all other phones, sometimes by a factor of 2, I think its safe to say we can ignore specs.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Why is it insane?

Apple products are never known for the best specs. They are known for simple and great UI with great user experience. Hardware doesn't matter much as long as it runs smooth..

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
It has been given what it needs. And nothing more.

Remember, the BB os is not nearly as well designed as iOS. Then again, it's not nearly as capable either.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
The Blackberry Torch 2 now has 768MB of RAM compared to the 9800's 512MB.

I dont know anything about RAM but that would be insane if a blackberry had more RAM than a new iPhone...

http://www.thoughts.com/attwolfpack/the-4g-blackberry-torch-9810

If you don't know any thing about ram why would it be insane? Not knowing anythingl aboy ram means it is an irreverent specification that shouldn't bother you. The iPhone has enough ram to do what it needs.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Heres how the iPhone performs relative to other phones:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4951/...rks-800mhz-a5-slightly-slower-gpu-than-ipad-2

Whats the point of specs again? Oh yeah, to make the phone fast. Well when the iPhone beats all other phones, sometimes by a factor of 2, I think its safe to say we can ignore specs.

Those are heavy gpu based test. The iPhone 4s has a good gpu. But it does not test everything else and knight pointed out very clearly in another thread it is not an apples to apple test.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
If you don't know any thing about ram why would it be insane? Not knowing anythingl aboy ram means it is an irreverent specification that shouldn't bother you. The iPhone has enough ram to do what it needs.

I take back my insane comment.

and it does not bother me. But I've seen hundreds of threads about Ram so I wanted to see what those people would say about a blackberry having more Ram.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
If RAM is seriously high up on your priority for a smartphone then get the Blackberry Torch. Meanwhile us iPhone users will enjoy a better experience on our "less specced" devices.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
To compare different platforms built on different architectures is a complete waste of time. There is no relevance.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Those are heavy gpu based test. The iPhone 4s has a good gpu. But it does not test everything else and knight pointed out very clearly in another thread it is not an apples to apple test.

Two of them are GPU tests. The others are CPU intensive browser tests, which the iPhone kills the Android "superphones" in.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
As people have already said it's not just about the RAM. So what if the Blackberry has more RAM. it's not how much RAM there is but how it's used and if it's optimised. It's all about the user experience and how smooth it is. I'm still baffled how people get caught up in these spec comparisons. They don't look at the big picture.

----------

probably should have stopped there.

lol.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
As no one has stated.. it is not confirmed that the iPhone will only have 512mb RAM. the same rumors were going around last year that the 4 would only have 256.

lets just wait and see guys.

but please don't be naive and say that we shouldn't be upset if there isn't 1gb of ram. everything may be optimized for 512 and we may not see any differences, but there would definitely be more possibilities if there were 1gb ram, especially with multitasking and the potential for new apps.

EDIT: apparently it is confirmed now. sure my user experience may not suffer, but its a shame that everything made for the iPhone 4s from now on will be limited by 512 ram

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
As no one has stated.. it is not confirmed that the iPhone will only have 512mb RAM. the same rumors were going around last year that the 4 would only have 256.

lets just wait and see guys.

but please don't be naive and say that we shouldn't be upset if there isn't 1gb of ram. everything may be optimized for 512 and we may not see any differences, but there would definitely be more possibilities if there were 1gb ram, especially with multitasking and the potential for new apps.

I think it's a safe bet considering the developer from Epic pretty much stated so when commenting on Infinity Blade 2.

xpcker

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
its just a RAM mannagement issue. put a 512 osx vs a 512mb windows 7 and watch :D

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I think of it as a good thing only because Apple is really good with developing thier software and they manage to get their phones to perform very will with 512MB ram, not much to say about RIM as their new phones are just as slow bc of their new OS, not the phone.

Nioxic

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Denmark
my desktop pc has 8GB memory.. I've never used more than 3gb at one time..

talk about waste? :p

besides, an app thats made to run with 1gb ram will run HORRIBLY if at all on the iPhone 4 (the normal one ;P)

a too big of a jump would piss off old iPhone users, being unable to use new apps etc.

besides.. do you even know how much memory you NEED in your iPhone? (people with the iPhone 4, running iOS 5 says its perfectly fine...)

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Two of them are GPU tests. The others are CPU intensive browser tests, which the iPhone kills the Android "superphones" in.

which Knight pointed out that iOS5 is running a different Javescript engine that is newer and Android currently does not have access to so it is still not an Apples to Apples test. The Javascript engine for iOS5 has far number of new things added to the webkit browser that Android is not going to have access to for a little while. This is a big part of the improvements is in that area of the code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.