New iPhone 4s or Refurb iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indian Devil, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Indian Devil macrumors regular

Hello all

I am planning to buy my first iphone and I am confused as to should I go for a New 4s or a Refurb 5.

The reason being my budget is limited to 30k Indian Ruppee. 4s 8 GB is availble for 26k whereas Refurb 5 is available at 6k (100$) more, so what is the best option?

Refurb is more or less a new device from what I read in the forum and it comes with 3 month warranty so I am safe with thatI guess but is it really worth getting it over a new 4s?

Also how is the 4s performing with ios 7? Sluggish or fine?

What are the featurea that are available in 5 but missing from 4?

As for my usage I am not a heavy user, just use a few apps like whatsapp, tapatalk, opera mini, subway surf etc. Nothing much.

All the advices greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'd go for the 5 for sure...people are reporting slow performance and app issues with the 4S under IOS7.

3. NickVanHoeve, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

NickVanHoeve macrumors newbie

I'd go with the 5 too. 4S under iOS 7 is fine but not as smooth as the 5/5S. There are several iOS 7 features that are not available in 4S (Airdrop, etc.) Plus gaming with iOS 7 under 4S might lag sometimes as the device have a mere 512MB of RAM. But it's usable if you'd only use it for normal usage. :p

4. TWD98j macrumors regular

Out of those 2 options, you would definitely want the 5.

The 4S might be OK with iOS 7 right now, but will it be OK with iOS 8 later this year? Or will it be like the 4 is with iOS 7?

If it were me, I would rather not take that chance.

5. Indian Devil thread starter macrumors regular

Ok Thanks all

Looks like 4s isnt really an option then.

Will get my hand on Refurb 5 on 5th, will update then. Hopefully by then some of the current 4s users can give their feedback.

6. esskay macrumors 6502

My buddy has a 4S with ios7 and he complains about performance all the time.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I say go with the 5. I'm happy you are. You need to think about the future. If the 4s isn't slow on iOS 7 it probably will be on iOS 8.

8. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

I'd say you go with 5.

9. Indian Devil thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, I waited for iphone 5 refurb but its not available and I am getting a bit impatient now.

Would 4s performance be really poor? Considering I dont use many apps and use phone mainly as a phone. Also if I get 4s should I stick with ios6 which come loaded or ios7 is a worthy upgrade even on 4s without sacrificing the performance.

Also I want this only till iphone 6 come out, will upgrade to 6 then.

Regards

10. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

i would really hold out for the 5. it starts at 16GB which would be double to storage of the 8GB 4S. It also has LTE, a larger screen, a faster processor, a better camera and can handle iOS 7 with no problem.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

If your going to upgrade at the iPhone 6 launch just get the 4s.

12. coolnitman macrumors member

Refurb iPhone 5 for 6k in India? o_O

Kidhar bhai jara muzhe bhi bata :D

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Read the OP again. He said the 4S is 26K and the 5 is 6K more meaning it costs 32K.

14. JCCL macrumors 6502a

I would no way recommend the 4S at this point, iOS 8 might be it last update, and like others have mentioned, I expect it to be really slow on that device. I would not recommend anything less than a 5 or 5C.

15. coolnitman macrumors member

Missed tht part :p

16. Indian Devil thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Thanks again everyone.

Guess I will wait for another week or so for a Refurb 5, hopefully it will be available by then:)