New iPhone 4s running iOS 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Techwriter, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Techwriter macrumors regular

I might be posting this in the wrong forum but I bought a new iPhone 4s and want to install iOS 6, not iOS 7. Is it possible to download a ipsw file and use iTunes to install it, or must I install iOS 7? If it is possible, which was the best version of iOS 6? There were six total released.

Thank you!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not possible. Your only choice is stay on whatever firmware is installed now, or update to iOS 7. iOS 6 is not possible.

3. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

You can go to iOS7, then download the ISPW for iOS 6 and restore to that. It's easy.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

That's not possible on an iPhone 4s. You cannot restore an iPhone 4s to any software version other than the newest.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yep, you can't do it, sorry. Either you upgrade to the latest, or stay on what you're on.

Apple have stopped signing anything below the latest version.

6. Jantelagen, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013

Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

That's not true. No device capable of iOS 7 is downgradeable once upgraded (with a small exception, see post #18 in this thread). Stop spreading misinformation.

7. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

UUUhhh...

Um, I DID that guys. I fix these iPhones/iPods/iPads as a JOB. Belive it or not, I know a way PAST the iOS7 activation lock, as well as downgrading software. No SHSH blobs needed. We Apple hardware people have to know. Thats how we make money. ;)

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Please enlighten us then... :rolleyes:

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yeah..not possible..

I'm sure we'd all love to see your proof and explain how.

10. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

You honestly dont think all of those iPhones on eBay are selling for 300 with an apple id lock if they're just going to use them as paperweights...We Apple rebuilders spend hours and hours figuring things out. There is a way to bypass everything.

Believe me. We know. If devices are MADE by humans, I think humans can figure them out. :cool:

11. Mrbobb, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Then stop telling us and PM OP and tell him in which dark alley to meet.

Anywoo OP, if your 5.x whatever version that is and is jailbreak-able (google), you should(?) be able to go to 6.1.2 which is the latest jailbreak-able Os6 for the 4s.

Jailbreak = not for newbies.

12. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

There's no way to downgrade the iOS version on an iPhone 4S or newer. Until you prove otherwise, which I'm guessing you can't.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're wrong. There is no way to downgrade the 4s or newer. I'm not sure why you'd be spreading blatant LIES like that, but for some reason you are.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's theoretically possible (it used to be doable until Apple stopped signing it, so theoretically it'd be possible to spoof those signatures) but as far as I know nobody's ever managed to do it. If it's now possible then I agree with others that proof should be provided.

15. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

My Apologies...

I'm sorry about this guys, I thought we were discussing the iPhone 4, not the iPhone 4S...I should pay more attention...on the iPhone 4, NOT the 4S, I have downgraded software. I have yet to figure out a way on the iPhone 4S/5 ect.

My apologies. :eek:

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No worries - but yes, we we discussing the 4S and above.

As of now, there is no way for the 4S and newer.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yet another thread where someone kept on posting about being able to downgrade on whatever phone only after many posts in the end say the same kind of thing "oh, yeah, only for iPhone 4 or below, didn't notice this was about a newer phone". Curious that it takes so many posts to finally get to that and that it came out to be almost exactly the same way here as in another recent similar thread.

18. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

That's also not true. The iPhone 4 is capable of downgrading to any firmware of your choice provided you have the correct SHSH file backed up. None of the other iOS 7 devices support the limera1n exploit to get into a pwned DFU, though, so you are correct in that regard.

19. Jantelagen macrumors regular

Jantelagen

Yes, I'm aware, I have a previously jailbroken iPhone 4 that I've tried to downgrade but couldn't because of partial SHSH or whatever it said, it was a while ago. I'm simply countering his blatant lie and/or tactics for promoting his own business with information simple to understand and relevant for 99% of potential downgraders - that once you upgrade your devices to iOS 7, there is generally no going back (with only the tiny exception being that only the previously jailbroken and SHSH backed up iPhone 4 can be downgraded.) Because if I wrote all that would fill my PM folder with requests to guide people through it. But you are certainly correct.