New iPhone 5, concerns about power button issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsi76, May 5, 2013.

1. dsi76, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013

dsi76 macrumors member

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for quite some time. I have an iPad 3 and a 2011 Mac Mini so I am not that new to the Apple scene. However, a few days ago I bought an iPhone 5 after being on Android for four years. The main reason for the switch was that I was getting tired of the bigger devices, and I have smaller hands and prefer the comfort of holding a smaller (but high end) device.

Anyways, I love this iPhone and all, especially the apps which are amazing; however I have one big concern which may be a deal breaker. I just read about the notorious power button issue where it fails after repeated use after several months or even weeks, so I am wondering whether it is really worth the off-contract money I paid for it.

Sure, I can get AppleCare but who knows what will happen after warranty. Without the AppleCare, if the problem starts to happen after one year I won't be able to get a replacement. I'm actually leaning towards not getting the AppleCare because I've already spent a lot. But, maybe it would be a smarter choice. Decisions!

So I have two questions -
    1) how common is this issue?
    2) does anyone know if the problem has been fixed in newer batches?

My alternative would be to return the iPhone and get the HTC One, but my hands will hate me and I will miss the apps.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U don't have to purchase AppleCare right away, u can wait until the 11th month.

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Not anymore. All that is offered for iPhones now is Applecare+ which can only be added within the first 30 days.

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Mine broke after 2 weeks, my new one is still holding, but for sure it's fragile

5. dsi76 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, this is what I was told by the staff, I have 30 days to decide whether to add it.

6. kvaughan macrumors member

The power button will still work after the "failure" you just have to push it on the left side of the button. Annoying, but it will still work. You will have a 1 year warranty also so I imagine Apple will have the issue fixed for good at some point.

7. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Majority of owners do Not have this problem. I wouldn't lose no sleep over it

8. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

Something in that phone is gonna fail at some point. There isn't anything you can do about it. Just enjoy the phone!

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Neither my wife or daughter have had any issues with their iPhone 5 power buttons.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Bummer about AppleCare.

Sounds like a mundane mechanical prob, anybody in the house not afraid of small tools should be able to resolve if it comes to that. :)

11. dsi76 thread starter macrumors member

Well there's always this:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iPhone+5+Power+Button/10703/1

I've done this kind of work on a Galaxy S2 but I cringe when I see the plastic opening tool used right under the iPhone display.

I wonder how much it would cost to get it done at the Apple store out of warranty. I do notice that some third party guys online can do it for around $80, which is not too bad.

Anyways I will just enjoy my device for now and decide later whether I should go for peace of mind and get AppleCare.

12. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Surely if the power button was defective and you were within your first year apple would replace it for free? Or 2 years if you bought applecare.

13. dsi76 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I referred to that in paragraph 3 of first post. I was asking about out-of-warranty concerns.

14. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

I've had to have my phone replaced twice already because of it. I got my iPhone 5 on launch day and it stopped working 2 months later. It just happened again last month and I had to get it replaced.

15. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Oops! sorry missed that.

16. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Me too. Failed twice already.

17. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I would say apple care would be a very good investment at purchase time.

18. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Also in the same boat. I'll have my second replacement tomorrow.

19. dsi76 thread starter macrumors member

So this is where my OCD kicks in, being afraid that every press of the power button will potentially damage its mechanism. On the other hand, the problem is fixable and there is Apple warranty and also third party repair centres in town. Hopefully my mind will be at peace LOL

20. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

I own an iPhone 5 purchased from the Apple Store online on launch day. Coincidently, I've noticed within the last few days that the right side of my power button no longer responds when pressed. I have to press the left side of the button. I live less than a mile from the local Apple Store, but haven't decided whether this is worth a visit for repair.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've dropped, abused, dunked my iPhone 5 since release day… never had an issue with the power button or any of the buttons for that matter.

Also if you bought the phone with a credit card, many will offer to double the warranty making the second year covered. Usually they will only cover up the to cost you paid (so $200/$300 under contract), but that's not an issue because the OOW replacement cost is only $200.

Also the HTC One is amazing.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I don't think this button thing is as common an issue as you (OP) think. Between my wife and I, we have had nine different iPhones, ranging from the original to the 5. Out of those, one showed a home button issue, and we purchased that one used. Anecdotal in the end, I know, but people having a specific issue are going to be the more vocal ones. Think how many iPhones have been sold. Now think of how many have had the issue (that we know of, yes). You are left with a very minuscule percentage. But, if worse comes to worse, there are plenty of fix it kiosks in malls (at least in the states) that will repair/replace home buttons for well under $50; much cheaper than an Apple replacement.

23. abz1981 macrumors 65816

I have never had this power button problem. The only problem I have had was a loose battery in my ip5. However apple replaced the phone for me.

24. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I have Apple Care + and I haven't had to use it once. My wife is going to get my 5 once the 5S comes out, so at least she'll have a newer device (plus the AC+)

At the end of the day these phones are essentially tools. I will use it as much as I need to and if it breaks i'll have it replaced.