New iPhone 5, no computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DestroVega, Oct 30, 2012.

1. DestroVega macrumors member

I just got my iPhone 5 and currently have a 4. I know I can backup through the cloud but that means I would lose all my non-photo stream pics and ringtones I made, is there anything else I would lose?

I have no computer until the new iMac is released, should I just wait or can I then transfer stuff from my old iPhone to my computer after?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I could/should do?

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

iCloud backup, keep the phone and sync it when you get your new comp... You can sync ringtones and all camera roll to iCloud.

3. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Yep just use iCloud. I don't use ringtones, but I know for a fact that iCloud backs up camera roll photos. You'd lose music too, but if you haven't connected it to a computer then you probably don't have any music on there (or if you do it came from iTunes which can be redownloaded later). The only thing from the camera roll it won't save is videos, so if you are worried about keeping them I'd use dropbox or something to save them.

4. DestroVega thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I don't have any music. I could just make ringtones later for the phone.

Are you sure it saves the whole camera roll? It seems like it doesn't to me only the stream but I could be wrong.

5. DestroVega thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. The only thing that didn't transfer via cloud were my photos from my computer. Even my ringtones did. Awesome stuff.

6. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

No problem. Once you start using iCloud you won't want to go back. The only time I ever plug my phone into a computer is to put new music on it which is not very often.

7. scyap macrumors member