New iPhone 5s battery charging issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SVTmaniac, Jul 30, 2014.

1. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I purchased a brand new iPhone 5s a little over a week ago. I noticed right away that it would never charge to 100% so I let the battery drain all the way down until the phone shut off, then I charged it all the way back up. After that it would charge to 100% and everything seemed ok.

Now it charges to 100% but with the charger still connected, it starts to drop. When I woke up this morning it was down to 96% and the charger was still connected. Should I take it back to Apple or is this normal?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Does it drop and then go back up if you leave it connected to the charger, or only drops and never goes back up?

3. SVTmaniac thread starter macrumors 6502

As far as I can tell it charges to 100% then steadily drops. I typically go to bed around 10pm and that's when I plug my phone in with usually around 20% battery remaining. I'm a light sleeper and I occasionally wake up around 2-3am and check my phone. When I do it's always at 100%, but when my alarm goes off for work at 4:30 am it's down to around 96% and sometimes lower. This has happened every night since I got it about a week ago.

I've already reset the phone and let it run until it died and charged it to 100% again. Doesn't seem to fix the problem. Also I am able to charge to to 100% again by removing the charger and plugging it back in for a few minutes. I know a few % of battery isn't the end of the world but it's more annoying than anything.