New iPhone 5S . Coming with ios8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newskin, Oct 1, 2014.

1. newskin macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of purchasing an iphone 5S but does anyone know if they already come updated with ios8?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It not, it's not a huge effort to upgrade. I think it all depends on quickly the inventory is turning over. I suspect the 5s models are moving a lot slower then the iPhone 6 models at this stage, so if I were to hard a guess, I'd say no.

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

Probably not yet, not for awhile.

4. newskin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies. I also assumed that since the 6 & 6+ were in such high demand, that the 5s's would be old stock without ios8. Appreciated.

5. BrettDS macrumors 65816

At some point they will, but no one is going to update all the phones with iOS 7 that have been sitting on store shelves or in warehouses, so those ones will be sold with iOS 7 and new stock coming from the factory will have iOS 8 pre-installed.

If you're wanting to get a phone with iOS 7 for a jailbreak or whatever, note that it's quite possible that it may come with an older version of iOS 7 depending on how long it's been sitting around. If so, it will be impossible to upgrade to 7.1.2 because Apple is no longer signing it.

If you're just concerned about having to update to iOS 8 yourself, then don't worry about it... it's a pretty quick and easy update, especially for a new phone and in that case it won't matter which version of iOS 7 it comes with.

6. r-m macrumors 6502a

I'd expect them to have iOS 8.
    iOS 8 GM was ready since the end of August, just wasn't rolled out until the iPhone announcement.

Apple run a pretty tight ship when it comes to inventory, and 4 weeks since iOS 8 was "ready", I expect it'll be on new 5S devices around now.

7. ccboy macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought an iPhone 5s from the apple store this past saturday. It did not come with iOS 8.

I manually updated to iOS 8 and my bluetooth to car connection is hosed now lol.

Couldn't get over the size of the 6. :p

No regrets.

8. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Just got one from AT&T in the mail Friday and it came with iOS 8.0

9. newskin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. My concern is definitely to try and get a 5S that is jailbreakable. Hopefully when I go get one later today. It'll have a the firmware needed to jailbreak. If not, I may just roll with the 6 till a jailbreak becomes available.

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

11. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

If you want a 5S with iOS 7 guaranteed, look for a 64GB model. They don't make those anymore so all 64GB should be old stock.