New iPhone 5s: sudden drop in battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmcafe, Oct 31, 2014.

1. tmcafe macrumors newbie

I got a 5s about a month ago, AT&T. It's still with its original 7.1.1. Battery life has been great until the other day when I noticed in the evening with almost no use throughout the typical day it had dropped to below 10% and draining fast. Nothing different in reception or apps (I only keep Safari and Mail open).

The only thing that I can think of as different is that recently the iOS 8.1 update prompt popped in my settings. It was downloaded automatically but I haven't installed it yet and there's an option to delete the update.

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

You wrote there's an option to delete the update? Try that. Otherwise, make sure all of your background app refreshing is off.

3. tmcafe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I think the refresh option for the apps has been on since I got the phone but the battery lasted a long time. If the apps are not open does the refresh make any difference? I only have Safari and Mail open all the time and the refresh option is for only six apps (all of which I keep closed unless I use one for a minute).