New iphone 6 and charging issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apok, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Apok macrumors regular

So I just picked up a new 64gb 6 on saturday because all of a sudden my 5 wouldnt charge, none of my official apple cables would connect and when they did, it would just do a rapid connect and disconnect cycle that wouldnt stop or it would momentarily connect then act like nothing was hooked up. So I took this as a sign to upgrade. And suddenly lo and behold, the cables are doing the same thing on my new 6. What could be causing this? Are all of my cables bad? Did I get a bum 6?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Are you using the same cables you were using on the iphone 5? If so, then the cables are bad. If you are using the new cables that came with the 6, try a different outlet. It is pretty unlikely the new phone has the exact same problem as the old one.

New cables and new location to charge. If you still have the problem replace the phone.

3. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

So its quite possible that both of my old cables went bad right about the same time? It was def within a few days of each other.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Use the charging brick and cable that came with your new phone, and if the problem still exists then try a different wall outlet. If it still exists, pay your electricity bill.☺️

5. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

The new one seems to work fine, its the two old ones I had, one at home and one for work. They both would appear to have crapped out at about the same time. And now that I'm looking at them, I see there is some darkening on a few of the gold contact points.

6. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Looks like you bought a new phone for nothing. The Apple cables are crap in my opinion. I can get only get them to last for 6 months.

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Still using my original iPhone 5 charge lead and brick with my 6+. No issues.

8. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

I guess **** happens. I wanted to upgrade anyway, it just gave a good reason so the wife wouldn't question it. Guess I'll get me a second cable and all will be good again.

Now I just gotta find a case I like.......

9. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

My cable has a dark spot on one side, too. BUT, I have used the same cable to charge my ipads, iphones and ipod.

I have NEVER had an Apple cable go bad.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Seems like a lot to go through before you concluded that the cables were bad. All To have 2 go bad on you at approx. the same time doesn't surprise me at all.

11. Lolhowwronguare macrumors newbie

I have not had even one lightning cable break on me once ever since the iphone 5 came out with lightning cable and i have bought over 5 cables(between me and my brothers) and they all are great.

Cheap 3rd party cables will mess up your phone and also break easily

12. Apok thread starter macrumors regular

No third party cables here. Just the one that came with my 5 and a second one I bought a few months later. I do find it odd that both crapped at about the same time, but I guess it can happen, maybe the phone jacked them up or something. I dunno.