iPhone New iPhone 6 cannot be used due to bug

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by astral125, Sep 24, 2014.

1. astral125 macrumors 6502

This popup keeps coming up every second making it almost impossible to even tap on an icon, and makes the phone unusable.

I searched for others with this problem and came up empty. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I added my wife as a family member in Family Sharing not knowing PayPal doesn't work with Family Sharing. I updated my billing to use a credit card. I restarted her phone and it shows that I am providing a credit card for her purchases now on her phone, but the popup will not go away.

If I go to her payment info on her phone, it just says she is part of a family, and that I (my email address) am managing her payment method. I logged her into her apple ID online, but there isn't any billing info there, and I can't use iTunes because that is set up under my account, and we only have one computer (she doesn't use itunes).

This is driving us bonkers :mad:

Attached Files:

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

3. Solver macrumors 6502a

4. astral125 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what changed, but I have been unable to locate any way of doing this.

This is where I went initially, but I don't see any billing info for her here. Maybe it doesn't show up now that she is under my Family Share thing?

5. Solver macrumors 6502a

As I understand it, only the one primary ID uses billing info, and not any of the attached family IDs. Check the primary ID.

6. astral125 thread starter macrumors 6502

I logged onto my (I am primary) apple ID in iTunes and changed the payment method to a credit card in an attempt to fix this, but no dice.

I also just logged onto her PayPal account as well as mine, and everything looks fine even though this shouldn't be the issue.

----------

I am currently resetting her phone, all settings and content. We'll see if this helps :/

7. astral125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it's fixed... for now. In case someone else has this issue and finds this thread by searching, i believe these are the steps to fix this problem:

1. In iTunes, under store, open the primary Family Sharing account holder's iTunes account. Go to billing and change it to a credit card instead of PayPal.

2. On the iPhone with the PayPal message, make sure you are backed up, then go to Settings, General, Reset all content and Settings.

3. While setting up the iPhone again, choose your iCloud backup and the phone should restore to how it was.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

8. Solver macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it working.
    It seems that Apple does not allow Paypal accounts for family sharing, although I have found no information from the Apple website directly stating this.

9. astral125, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014

astral125 thread starter macrumors 6502

So it turns out this didn't fix it. None of her apps ever downloaded and it is a few days later. I tried signing out and back into the app store, as well as restarting the phone, but the PayPal error message came back. I am about to reset as a new phone and see what happens.

EDIT:

This didn't fix it either, as soon as I tried to download an app from the app store, the error came back. I finally did fix it (sort of). I removed her from family sharing. That's what it took. Her payment method went back to how it was before (a credit card), and everything worked again.

Some how this bug has only affected us as far as I can tell, but it has been a nightmare. **** family sharing.

10. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Login to PayPal, see what's wrong, correct it, click OK on the message and all should be fine.

There must be something wrong.

11. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

This. I think they are only restricting it to Credit Cards for now.