New iPhone 6 damaged straight out of the box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eattherich, Sep 23, 2014.

1. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Hey everyone!

I picked up my silver iPhone 6 from my local(ish) Apple Store this evening. By the time I'd worked a little more and had dinner it was after 10pm. I opened it up, really excited, only to see that the area around the charger port was all scuffed and the right side of the phone (where the glass wraps around to the aluminium) has 4 or 5 little damaged spots. I know there's a shortage of these iPhones right now but do you think I can go back first thing tomorrow morning and get another brand new one?

As a side note, this happened to my with the iPhone 5 a couple of years ago. I took it back a few hours after I bought it and they said they had none because of the demand. I spoke to the manager and he brought out another sealed one. I opened it and it was worse. He couldn't believe it and mentioned how it looked like it was actually a well-used phone. A few minutes later he came out with another and it turned out to be fine. My point is that I imagine they'll likely say they have none but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar thing this week. This is really disappointing. It's not a tiny mark that I could likely live with; it's multiple damaged parts on the side and the scratched bottom (that looks like someone was trying to charge it but missed the port about 30 times). :)

2. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

I don't have a camera, I sold my 5s last Thursday, and my 6 Plus was returned today as I decided I preferred a 6.

3. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

I did not get a brand new sealed unit - it was a white box replacement (unlike the 5s launch where I was given a sealed replacement for a scratch on opening). You can always try but I would be prepared to walk out with a refund and go back another day.

4. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Only the 6+ has a shortage. The regular 6 there are plenty of. Just got to the store and have it replaced.

5. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

Are the white box replacements already refurbs?

6. chrisperra macrumors member

chrisperra

I run an Apple Authorized Service Provider, and I can tell you that the white box replacements for the first ~month are BRAND new devices, not refurbished... Where would they have had the time to refurb devices after only 6 days? After the first month, you may still receive a new unit, but you could also receive a refurb...

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Very unlikely they are true refurbs

8. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

This. You won't have any issues getting a 6. They're all over.

:apple:

9. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Maybe in your area..?

All they have at the apple stores around me are 128gb iPhone 6

10. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

I hope that's the case but we'll see. The reservation page for my store shows the 16 and 128 available for pick-up but not the 64. I'd like to think that they have an extra few for situations like this.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The take away is that there are no iPhone 6 Plus models of any kind in pretty much every area. I checked all over Northern California... no stock at Apple Stores for any iPhone 6 Plus model (color, capacity). iPhone 6? Plenty. About 1/3 of stores near me have it. The store I went to today had a walk-in line and they were able to get one (and in some cases 2 or 3).

I would get it exchanged no matter what. They usually have a few for emergency cases like your iPhone 5 store. But that kind of bad luck is extremely unlikely, they literally only have a few.

12. eattherich thread starter macrumors 6502

eattherich

Update: I went back to my local Apple Store yesterday morning (without an appointment). I got there at around 10:15am (15 minutes after opening) and told someone about my situation. I was then directed to the manager who passed me on to someone else. Eventually she came and took my iPhone (and box, AppleCare book, bag, etc.) away. After around 15 minutes she came back with a new and sealed retail box iPhone 6. I opened it up, had a quick look at it, and walked out happily. I was kind of expecting a white box replacement but maybe seeing as I bought it the night before just as the store was closing and then came in just as it opened she thought I should get a totally new box.

13. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

It's one thing I really like about Apple, they're usually always great when it come to honoring warranty.

Heck, I got my iphone 4 replaced because the Home Button stopped working, the next day my brother accidentally dropped a mug on it, so we went into an Apple store, told them what happened and they replaced it with a $180 (AUD) fee. Awesome!