New iPhone 6 from Apple.com -- activation window?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rsmith83, Nov 25, 2014.

1. rsmith83 macrumors member

I used to order all of my new phones through AT&T or pick them up in store. AT&T always required that the phones be activated immediately, though one year they did put a 30 day hold on it for me because I was purchasing the phone as a Christmas gift and didn't want it opened yet.

I'm doing the same for my grandmother this year but I've ordered the phone from Apple.com. It came today. Do I have a certain number of days before the phone must be activated, or can I just leave it sealed until Christmas and do it then?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Never activated any of my phone. Just put a sim in and bam.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

No, there is no time limit. Assuming you ordered a phone with an AT&T SIM, you simply turn it on and activate whenever you want. The clerks in the AT&T store just push you to activate it immediately because they get a commission.

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I just put my old SIM card in my new iPhone 6....after all that's what SIM cards were designed for, fast and easy use of your number amongst different handsets....I never understood the point of sending out a new blank SIM card out unless your coming from a phone thats SIM card is too old to support 3G or LTE.

5. its Dale macrumors 6502

AT&T still needed my IMEI number off the new phone. I moved my sim from my HTC to the iPhone 6 and the 6 was slow. I called ATT and once they got my IMEI # they did their thing and they had me restart the phone and BAM it was fast.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just looked at my 6+ SIM card, did not realize they are even smaller.