New iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1.2) partially loses iCloud

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by camner, Jan 9, 2015.

1. camner macrumors regular

I have a new iPhone 6 which was set up via a restore from an encrypted backup of my former iPhone 4S.

The following has happened several times now...I will go into the iPhone Settings-->iCloud, and tap on the iCloud account at the top, and of course will be prompted for my iCloud ID password. I enter it, and after trying to verify for a while, the iPhone reports that the password is incorrect. BUT, I can sign into iCloud.com using the same iCloud ID/password combination, so the password is clearly NOT incorrect (and yes, I tried it several times to make sure I wasn't guilty of clumsy fingers).

When the iPhone is in this state, people who send me messages from iPhones get the blue bubble, so I know that iMessages is successfully using the ID. But, if I sign into iCloud.com and look at Find my iPhone, it will say the device is offline, and the location given will be the "last known" location (typically a few hours before), and I am unable to have the phone "pinged."

The first time this happened, I changed the iCloud ID password and that fixed things. The next time it happened I did nothing but power down and reboot the phone, and then things were fine.

Any thought about what's going on and what I might do about it? It's as if the phone disconnects itself from iCloud, sort of, and can't sign back in without a system reboot.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

iMessage isn't related to iCloud. Maybe it should, but it isn't. Something is up with your account. Are you on the latest OS?

3. camner thread starter macrumors regular