Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaneDark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

My dad is getting iPhone 6 16gb under apple care replacement from apple this week,
He decided that I can have it for free.

I was wondering wheather I should keep it, or sell it as soon as it arrives, add some more money and buy a refurbished grade A iPhone 6s from ebay with sellers 1 year warranty?

What do you guys think?

Replacement from apple will most probably come with 90 days warranty, all parts will be definitely genuine apple parts in it etc, is there any possibility that refurbished 6s from ebay from a good seller that sells loads of them and includes 1year warranty could have some poor quality parts like a fake lcd or something?

Much better cameras on 6s, faster touch ID and more durable housing seem tempting, also since Im getting that 6 for free, it wont hurt my wallet that much once ill sell it in brand new condition to add money and get that refurbished ebay 6s.

Please help

Thanks

Reactions: fairuddin

umbrokhan

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
England
My nephew got iPhone 5s refurbished grade A from Ebay few years ago.
iPhone 5S refurbished look like new. Working perfectly fine. And he's happy with it.
So I think it should be fine if your buying from a business seller with very high feed back score.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
is there any possibility that refurbished 6s from ebay from a good seller that sells loads of them and includes 1year warranty could have some poor quality parts like a fake lcd or something?
It's definitely possible the "refurbished" iPhone from eBay could have counterfeit or 3rd party parts in it. You'd have no real way of knowing. It's also possible, and likely, that the refurbishing process is nothing more than cleaning the phone. In case you aren't aware, Apple sells refurbished iPhone 6S's now. They're not sold at a huge discount, but you know what you're getting with those.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
My nephew got iPhone 5s refurbished grade A from Ebay few years ago.
iPhone 5S refurbished look like new. Working perfectly fine. And he's happy with it.
So I think it should be fine if your buying from a business seller with very high feed back score.

Going to add to this. I would also buy an iPhone that's advertised as manufacturer refurbished only. After that, if there are any issues, eBay will side with the buyer and can return the iPhone and get their refund. I never buy a "seller refurbished" iPhone. Can't trust it. But I also don't buy iPhones from eBay, period. I buy from Swappa and Swappa only.

Reactions: na1577 and nburwell

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
The 6s is an improvement in every way over the 6. Definitely still a great phone.

There are several 64GB models for sale on Swappa now, in "mint" condition for around $475.
Yes, especially considering my 6 Plus lags like crazy
Love the phone, but my 6s and 7 blow it out of the water

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Avoid Ebay.

Maybe see what you can get for it from a carrier as a trade in for a better phone, even the SE model. Also, like others have said, Apple sells refurbished phones now.

Avoid Ebay.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
I wouldn't buy anything of the sort on eBay UNLESS it was sealed new in original package. I did this with my daughter's 5s. It came sealed, but I still checked the IMEI and physically inspected it.

Reactions: na1577

BaneDark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
As I supposed most of Grade A refurbs on ebay and even Swappa classify as grade A because the original housing has been replaced with 3rd party new one, tbf it doesnt bother me as long as I still get better performance than the 100% genuine iPhone 6

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
As I supposed most of Grade A refurbs on ebay and even Swappa classify as grade A because the original housing has been replaced with 3rd party new one, tbf it doesnt bother me as long as I still get better performance than the 100% genuine iPhone 6
Well if you're fine with possibility counterfeit parts, the iPhone 6s is definitely the better option
6 is already kind of outdated (I personally am already seeing "noticeable" performance hits on my 6 Plus)

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have been done buying and selling phone's on eBay for about two years now. If I were the OP, I would be extremely cautious about buying a phone from there. I would take a hard look a Swappa. I have bought and sold phone's on there for the better part of two years with no issues.

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
Run away from the eBay "refurbished" phone as if it was on fire... or a note 7. I would buy a refurbished iPhone from Apple themselves with no reservations but I would not touch a refurbished phone from any other vendor.

hollowplayer

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2011
i dont think its refurbished, they are just used phones in great condition. I know some of these sellers bought from major carriers used phones auction.

BaneDark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
What about websites such as CashConverters etc, especially when they still sell it as brand new sealed?

You see, my friend works for apple repair centre and he would be able to check wheather all parts are legit and genuine, problem is, 6s has an adhesive on the screen (semi water resistance that they didnt tell anyone about it) so opening the phone just to check would potentially get rid of 6s slight water resistance.

Still, dont you think that even if some parts could be 3rd party OEMs, the fact that the phone still would have faster processor, 2gb of ram, better cameras, 3d touch and faster touch ID for only a bit more money once ill sell that 100% brand new 6 from replacement is still worth the try?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
What about websites such as CashConverters etc, especially when they still sell it as brand new sealed?

You see, my friend works for apple repair centre and he would be able to check wheather all parts are legit and genuine, problem is, 6s has an adhesive on the screen (semi water resistance that they didnt tell anyone about it) so opening the phone just to check would potentially get rid of 6s slight water resistance.

Still, dont you think that even if some parts could be 3rd party OEMs, the fact that the phone still would have faster processor, 2gb of ram, better cameras, 3d touch and faster touch ID for only a bit more money once ill sell that 100% brand new 6 from replacement is still worth the try?
If you read my comments above, I answer the 3rd paragraph

About the water resistance, the 6s isn't going to cover your ass for anything major, there really isn't water resistance

Other than that I don't know how counterfeit parts would affect the phone, the only thing I could think of is battery, and even then eBay stated you would get a 1 year warranty

Reactions: BaneDark

umbrokhan

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
England
it its seller refurbished phone then seller might have used 3rd party body parts to make it look like new.
if its manufacturer refurbished then it will be original genuine parts.
A seller refurbished can sometimes be extreme faulty or small minor fault or work perfectly. so its a risk
i will go for manufacturer refurbished and it should work like new.
i buy few phones from Ebay its been fine but buy from a long time seller who been selling for few years and has high feed back or buy from business seller.
or you can try GumTree web site its like buying face to face, go to the person house or Ask for ID and take a picture of his ID driving licence. his driving licence will have his picture, address so you know where he lives. just in case if he try's to block the phone.

craig1024

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
Well if you're fine with possibility counterfeit parts, the iPhone 6s is definitely the better option
6 is already kind of outdated (I personally am already seeing "noticeable" performance hits on my 6 Plus)
My iPhone 6 Plus is very fast and smooth I think you need to restore

umbrokhan

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
England
My iPhone 6 Plus is very fast and smooth I think you need to restore
yeah just stay with iPhone 6.
because if you sell on Gumtree the buyer can sometimes give fake note (money).
selling on Ebay i don't no to much about it if people will scam you or not. not everyone is same.
some people are good and some people are bad. and it does not say on someone forehead if he's thief or not?
or bad or good. you find that out afterwards when he scammed you. just trying to say be very careful.
am saying this because i been scam with fake money. i asked for £250. i let him off £10. trying to be kind. he gave me £240 fake notes. even the police didn't help me.

BaneDark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
yeah just stay with iPhone 6

Im starting to consider this option more now,

I'm getting it for free, its a replacement from apple so 100% genuine, will save me hassle with selling it on ebay and possibly getting scammed by the buyer, also, it will be new, so no unpleasant surprises along the line, plus I wouldnt have to spend any more money.

I mean sure, 6s would be awesome, but then again, all the hassle with selling, then getting seller refurb 6s in good condition and finding out theres something wrong with it. I just really like the idea of better cameras on 6s, also the 6 that Ill be getting as a replacement from apple will be only 16gb in storage, thats a bit of a downer tho

Reactions: Sunny1990

BaneDark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
On the other hand guys, I started considering iPhone SE, I think it would be a great improvement over iPhone 6, basically the processor and rear camera are the same as in 6s, also I could get brand new or apple refurbished SE for the price of ebay seller refurbished 6s. SE shoots in 4K too.

What do you think?

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
On the other hand guys, I started considering iPhone SE, I think it would be a great improvement over iPhone 6, basically the processor and rear camera are the same as in 6s, also I could get brand new or apple refurbished SE for the price of ebay seller refurbished 6s. SE shoots in 4K too.

What do you think?
SE still has a few compromises

Right now you can pickup a second hand 6s (Verizon, but all Verizon iPhones are unlocked, no matter what) mint condition (absolutely no signs of visible wear) for $425, it's Space Gray (but since you can't make up your damn mind up on anything it really doesn't matter) and comes with all original accessories and a free case

Holla back if you want the link, would be dumb not to take it since it's $25 more than a brand new SE from Apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.