New iPhone 6s - Anyone else with this battery bug?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KacieB, Sep 28, 2015.

1. KacieB macrumors newbie

KacieB

I charged my brand new iPhone 6s overnight on Saturday to 100%, and used it normally on Sunday. About 5pm the battery was at 44%. Checked again at 8pm after using it some more and it was still at 44%. Realized something was fishy so decided to drain it completely overnight to 'calibrate' it. Woke up this morning and it still said 44%. Did a hard reboot (power button + home button) and it booted back up to 52%.

Used it today until it died, and charged it a little bit at work, to 11%. Watched it for the next couple of hours and it stayed at 11%. Did another reboot and this time the phone wouldn't boot up at all, it gave me the connect charging cable animation on the screen. I plugged the phone in for a minute and it rebooted itself to 2% battery.

Unfortunately, after only 3 days of use I don't trust this battery at all. Anyone else notice similar behavior on a new iPhone 6s?

2. koulmj macrumors 6502

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

That's the taptic engine.

4. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I've charged twice now and use shows normal battery behavior.

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My wife's 6s just completely shut down (and then showed the "needs charge" sign) when it was at 33%. Charged it to full and it seems to be operating normally now.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Me thinks you should take that phone to the Apple Store. That sounds not right at all.

7. KacieB, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

KacieB thread starter macrumors newbie

KacieB

8. JAT macrumors 603

You should do two full battery cycles first before assuming it is bad. Some weirdness the first cycle or two is not abnormal for lithium batteries.

By full I mean use it all the way down (which you did) and then charge it all the way up directly (which you didn't).

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I did this with my Plus last year and it did wonders.

10. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

My battery is horrible. I will try the running down resolution.

11. james-jones macrumors member

james-jones

iOS Diagnostics will identify bad battery cells. They would run it at an Apple Store, however you can likely get a ticket number over the phone to plug into the app and do it yourself. (reached by going to diags:// in Safari)

12. koulmj macrumors 6502

I moved to 6s from 5c so i think my battery life is very good. Is there a battery stress test we can standarize?

13. Sekelani macrumors 6502

Sekelani

I'd take that melon back to the Apple Store asap

14. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Behavior on mine was a little different. Both mine and my wife's 6S+ shutdown this morning after fully charging over night. Thought it was strange when I went to use mine and it was off, then 30 minutes later my wife told me her phone was dead. Had to hold the power button in for an extended period of time before they came back on.

15. koulmj macrumors 6502

did you do something to your phones? What the statistical odds of two married people BOTH getting lemons regarding the batteries? Is it possible that there is some sorta temporal annomoly WITHIN your home? Like on the Star Trek Voyager show?

16. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Pretty strange huh... nope, didn't do anything special to them. Picked them both up Sunday at the apple store and they were fine till this morning. After getting them going again there have been no issues.

17. JAT macrumors 603

If you had to hold down power for a long time, that was a reset. May or may not be a battery issue. It happens, probably doesn't mean anything. Unless you get them repeatedly.

18. xxMACxx macrumors regular

Thanks. Will keep an eye on them to see if it happens again.

19. rizvi, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

rizvi macrumors newbie

On average, i think using iphone 6s consumes 1 % of the total battery per minute however you must try charging it full twice and see the results else replace it if it is in warranty.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Happened to me also. Phone was stuck at 38% after being plugged in and wouldn't go up. So I just powered off and back on and went back to normal. Haven't had a problem since.