New iPhone 6S Plus - headphone plug not "clicking" in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Nov 5, 2015.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've had my 6S Plus for a few days, and plugged headphones into it yesterday for the first time. I was surprised to feel there was no "click" when they were all the way in, like you get on any/most headphone jack. When you push it in, you feel the resistance before the final step that usually gives that feel, sometimes audible click. But that's just not happening here. You can tug the headphone plug out a little bit easier than on my iPhone 6 that gave a definitely click when pushed in. It just seems like the little angled metal that would usually lock into the tip isn't snapping down on to it.

The headphones works fine, though turning the plug can produce a bit of static, also telling me the connection in there isn't THAT bad, but could be better.

Does everyone else's give a good solid click when putting headphones in? I hate little stuff like this. I don't want to do an exchange over something like this, but it could get worse over time, and it is a little weird sometimes feeling like I don't know if I put the headphone plug in all the way. Thanks.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Maybe it's not actually the headphone jack (socket).
    Have you tried another headphone to verify a seating problem?

3. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

As DeltaMac has said, it could be the cable and not the headphone jack. I have one cable that doesn't really click in vs another pair that does.

4. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I've tried multiple plugs. Three in fact so far. Same result on all three.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Just a thought. Do you have a case on your phone that might be preventing the jack from fully inserting?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree about the case, as that does happen when a case is not quite what you would hope...
    If the plug won't seat in place with a bare iPhone, get your new iPhone replaced. You can always take it back to the Apple store for the first 14 days. Normal warranty would cover repair after that, too.

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

No case on. It's definitely the jack. But I know exactly what you are referring to with cases, when it won't let you get that final click. That is exactly what it feels like though. Good point of reference.

8. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

The connection to my headphones is definitely not as firm/tight on my 6S Plus when compared to my 5S. No problems yet, but I'm wondering if over time and usage that this could become an issue.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Out of curiosity, i dug up a wired headset and my jack does not make a hard click like I remember so maybe this is just how it is. I use Studio Wireless and never tried but a old iPhone head phone jack does not click.

10. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I keep checking it out, and now and then I get a click, though not nearly as clicky as expected. I'm an Apple IT tech for a school district, and I have a pile of iPad Airs next to me. They ALL have a good solid click you can feel and hear when the headphone plug goes in all the way. So there is something up, either by nature, by design, or just inconsistency from phone to phone on how the jack ciips on to the plug.

I think I may decide to let it go for now. It hasn't caused me an actual problem yet, but it very well could at some point. I also worry it could get worse as the jack wears over time.

I'm warranty covered for a year, and after chatting with Apple about it today, at least it's documented now.

11. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I had a 6s+ that was loose in that didn't snap in. Other two including present one does just like 6+ and most every other iPhone.

I prefer the snap.

12. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Stopped into the Apple Store this evening. They just gave me a new one. Nice clicky headphone snap as intended.

Happy Camper.

13. parmoz macrumors newbie

After 3 week my ip6s+ got same issue, jack can easy come off when use.Just book genius bar, hope they replace with brand new unit.It's only three weeks old.