New iPhone 6S question :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mattklong, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Mattklong macrumors newbie

Hi, there!

I have just recieved my unlocked 6S however as it is an upgrade from an iPhone 4 I am still waiting on the delivery of my new SIM card. Will I still be able to play about on the 6S in any way before I recieve the SIM which should be in a day or two?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

All new phones should have a SIM already installed. If you purchased from Apple or a provider they might have already registered your SIM and all that's left is activation. Anyhow, yes, you can restore and setup the phone if you have access to Wi-Fi then when you're ready with the SIM activate cell service too.

3. Mattklong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply! Its still shrink-wrapped and i bought it unlocked. Just got home to no SIM but happy i can install apps and play with it while I wait on that while using my 4 to make calls!

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You bought the SIM free model then and that is the reason you are waiting for delivery on a SIM.

As long as the iPhone is not requiring a SIM for activation then you can play around with it. But if it's demanding a SIM, that's as far as it will let you go until you provide one.

5. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

You should be able to do all but make calls/SMSs I would have thought! The benefits of iMessage and FaceTime Audio!

6. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Not in the UK they don't.

7. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

I've always wondered why the US install their SIMS and they get locked to Networks, yet we're free to whore it about in the UK!

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because unlocking to allow for carrier freedom isn't even a decade old thing here in the US.

Going to take a while to completely remove the grip of the carriers on our phones.

9. Stupotpot macrumors 6502

Stupotpot

That's crazy! Although once you chose a network, I think some get locked to the network, but you can get them unlocked free and pretty quickly.

10. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I bought mine at the Apple store, full price, T-Mobile. I asked and they are not unlocked.

US carriers are insecure about themselves, they want to force you into their network.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some. And yes, you can get them unlocked - if you've met the financial terms.

That was the whole point of locking. For years we've have carrier subsidies. No one has paid full price and Americans aren't used to it. To prevent people from walking away without paying, locking the phone to the network was the solution.

Now that contracts are dying and people are starting to get over sticker shock and actually looking at leasing it's not as big as issue as before. But still done. You don't want your customer walking away from a lease either.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I believe the uk has had better consumer protection laws when it comes to mobile phones for a lot longer than the us has. We JUST RECENTLY passed a law that carriers must unlock all phones on which loans/Leon's/contracts have been fulfilled. When ATT got theniphone they were unwilling to unlock it, PERIOD. It was this way for years.

13. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

On T-Mobile (not sure about other carriers) if your phone comes with a new sim card (as mine did), they make it easy to go into your account online, pick which line you want to change (if you have more than one), then enter the new SIM card number in the phone you just received and (usually) shortly thereafter your phone number moves over to the new phone and your old phone goes to No Service.

14. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Because US mobile carriers are prudish jerks.

15. Mattklong thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Sadly when I turn it on it lets me add my WiFi code but then it insists that I put a SIM card into the phone. Ah well. Although, I havent tried connecting it to my Macbook Pro, just turning it on.

16. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I wanted to say they should but its interesting they don't.

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I thought your phone must have a sim inside (even an unactivated one) for it to activate online?