new iPhone 7, but Maps app has outdated map data by as much as 4 year?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Taisiya, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Taisiya macrumors regular

I just got my new iPhone 7 a few days ago. (convert from Android world)

I used Maps to navigate for the first time this morning. I thought I was typing the names or numbers wrong because a bunch of places were not showing up... then I realized that Maps app had really outdated map data.

After I got home, I tried again to look up a dozen or so places in my area. Post offices, restaurants, Interstates that were moved/changed/renamed as much as 4 years ago were still showing up under the old names in Maps app.

What am I doing wrong? Is Apple's data just really outdated or am I doing something wrong?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I also just realized that Apple's Maps apps doesn't have offline capability. :( On my S7 edge, I have Google Maps save the map data from Maine to Florida for offline use.(basically the entire I-95) Guess I'll have to go back to Google Maps on my new iPhone 7. :(

The only problem is that I don't know how to make Siri search in Google Maps by default. Is this even possible?

Thanks again!

4. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

No you can't set default apps in IOS. Siri will always use apple services whenever possible. I would just use google maps they have such a head start that I don't think apple can ever catch up unless Google decides to stop working on maps.