New iPhone 7+ very slow to charge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Giuanniello, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Giuanniello macrumors regular

Giuanniello

My brand new iPhone 7+ takes ages to charge the battery compared to the old iPhone 6+, any reason it might be so?

Thanks

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Most logical would be a bad cable or bad charger. Also, if there are things running while the device is charging, it will charge slower. Such as iCloud backup, or even just the screen being on.

3. noobinator macrumors 601

How long does it take to charge from empty to full? Are you using the included charger and cable or?

4. Susurs macrumors 6502a

Susurs

5. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

6. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

Sure, charging it wrong... if you tell me how can you charge it wrong I might give it a try...

It's the same cable which charges the 6+, I left it for an hour from 20% it got to 30 something %, it is charging on the compute which usually serves the other phone too so the conditions are pretty similar

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Try a different cable/charger/outlet. Something is definitely off.

8. noobinator macrumors 601

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Can you let us know what computer you have? Some Windows desktops have a 500 mAh USB ports especially if they're not USB 3.0 - and if they're USB 3.0 they do 900 mAh. The included white charging brick with the iPhone is only 1,000 mAh but the iPhone 6, 6s, 6+, and 6s+ can all charge much faster if you have a 2+ amp charger (like the 2.4amp iPad charger) - it is almost as if it is rapid charging.

Also, you weren't clear if it is an MFI certified cable. A lot of the no-name brand Apple cables available on Amazon will NOT charge faster than 1 amp and sometimes will charge much slower (I have a handful myself). In fact, I can lose charge while using the phone with these cables.

If you have a Macbook - the USB ports on those can provide a lot of power - still not as fast as an iPad charger. Remember, stay with certified products to ensure fast charging (I use a lot of Anker products).

10. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

It can be the cable or the power supply. There is no reason why the phone should be charging slow if everything is working well. Either the charger isn't putting out the correct wattage or the phone has to much going on. You can download Battery lite or Pro and it will tell you the wattage of the charger. I would try turning it off and seeing how fast it charges too.

11. phonemanjones macrumors newbie

phonemanjones

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug specific to my iPhone 7 Plus but here goes: Sometimes when I put my phone on the charger when the phone is in Low Power Mode, I come back a few hours later and a message has popped up telling me that my phone has been sufficiently charged and it stops charging at 30-40% (even after an all-night charge). Now after using the phone in Low Power Mode, I turn that off before charging and it charges up all the way with no issues. Hope this helps.

12. Giuanniello thread starter macrumors regular

Giuanniello

The cable is an original one, the computer is a MBAir 11" and it's the same combo I use to charge the old iPhone 6+ which works pretty well, I just wonder if some function of the phone I am not aware of or if it is the first couple of charges since it's brand new

13. itsmilo, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017

itsmilo macrumors 65816

itsmilo

Well for what its worth it does take ages to charge compared to me old 6 but it also has a bigger battery sooo.

When i need to charge it during the day i get an anxiety attack knowing it will never reach 100% before i have to leave lol

Oddly my 7 Plus doesnt even charge with my old iPhone 5 cable but charges the 5 just fine

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have a Macbook Air 11' too and the USB ports on it charge my iPhone 6s+ fast. What I'd do is hold the Home button + Power Button until the phone powers off. Power it back on and see if that fixes this.

15. Zaino macrumors member

Zaino

Use the cable from the Iphone 7 plus box and it will be fine. I had the same problem.