Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
Finally updated my iPhone SE to a brand new iPhone 8 - and I love it! However, the battery life is bad. Is this normal?

ajalberto

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2019
What battery life is expected?

I have my iphone 8 for 2 months, and i can use it for 1-1,5 day at normal usage.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
You didn't mention the battery life you are getting. What do you typically see? How long have you had the phone?

I have the iPhone 8 and typically get 2 or even 3 days of usage between recharges. But I do keep the brightness level at about 30% and don't watch videos / movies or play games. How would your characterize your usage pattern ?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
if youre running it as is out of the box, yeah its going to suck.

did you go through ALL the settings and optimize them for battery life and turn off the gimmicky junk that eats battery?

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Do not set up the phone from a backup. Erase all content and settings, then set it up as a new phone. Yes, you lose all the data like iMessage conversations. You'll also lose whatever battery draining bug that has existed for a decade. I have been plagued by this problem ever since I upgrading to the 3GS from the original iPhone. The battery life seemed really bad, so I did a test. I played music through headphones at 50% volume with the screen off. The battery died in 8 hours (advertised 24 hr). It was awful, and performed much worse than the original iPhone sitting right next to it.

Once I restored the phone, I just skipped restoring app data from a backup. The battery life was immediately improved (as in 2 to 3 times better) and matched expectation. I've seen the problem come up every time I've upgraded since, along with threads just like this one. Not everyone experiences it, but for those that do, it hits hard.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Do not set up the phone from a backup. Erase all content and settings, then set it up as a new phone. Yes, you lose all the data like iMessage conversations. You'll also lose whatever battery draining bug that has existed for a decade. I have been plagued by this problem ever since I upgrading to the 3GS from the original iPhone. The battery life seemed really bad, so I did a test. I played music through headphones at 50% volume with the screen off. The battery died in 8 hours (advertised 24 hr). It was awful, and performed much worse than the original iPhone sitting right next to it.

Once I restored the phone, I just skipped restoring app data from a backup. The battery life was immediately improved (as in 2 to 3 times better) and matched expectation. I've seen the problem come up every time I've upgraded since, along with threads just like this one. Not everyone experiences it, but for those that do, it hits hard.

How does this work for purchased apps? Do you have to re-buy?

I always restore from backup.
[doublepost=1549518814][/doublepost]
Finally updated my iPhone SE to a brand new iPhone 8 - and I love it! However, the battery life is bad. Is this normal?

What made you update? Did you consider the XS?

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
How does this work for purchased apps? Do you have to re-buy?

I always restore from backup.

Nope. Any apps you've purchased can be re-downloaded for free. Instead of of a buy button which shows the price of the app, the app store will show an iCloud download icon. On the today tab, you can also tap your iTunes profile in the upper right. You'll see an entry for all your purchases to easily find all the apps that you can re-install.

So much of your data is synced through cloud services anyways that you really don't lose much.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I had the 8 for a year and the battery life seemed okay to me. What kind of use do you put your phone through? You a power user or more text, talk, mild data user?

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
The first few days usually crap. Give it a a few days or the phone to index in the background.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
I have the 8 plus.
Normal use gets me through the whole day.
Constant/heavy use i get about 9 hours.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
if youre running it as is out of the box, yeah its going to suck.

did you go through ALL the settings and optimize them for battery life and turn off the gimmicky junk that eats battery?

Hey can you please tell me what I can do in my settings to optimize the battery life on my iPhone X?
[doublepost=1549570318][/doublepost]OP, I used to have the iPhone eight and if I recall correctly which I’m pretty sure that I do the battery life was decent.

MAGdaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
I think the battery i quite good. Mine can easily hold the entire day and evening with normal usage.

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va

Thanks so much for this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.