New iPhone Ad: FaceBook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Sorry if this is old, but I just saw this on American Idol. Obviously shows off the FaceBook webapp. My paraphrase may not be 100% accurate...

"If you love FaceBook so much... that you check it every time you go on the computer... how would you like FaceBook... on your phone?"

P.S. This is not like one of the newer ads similar to the "Switch" campaign. It's like one of the older ones ("YouTube", "All These Years", etc.)

EDIT: A Third Ad! http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad18/

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

From the time I walked in the door (less than 45 minutes ago) till now, I've seen it 4 times.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Not seen this one yet, but i have seen one about car shopping. Nice to see these out going strong again. =]

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

5. maclover92 macrumors newbie

seems like appl is getting a little tad bit "desperate" on ads lol, making an ad for facebook basically

6. nevesis macrumors 6502

If you understood marketing and demographics you wouldn't think they are "desperate"
    :)

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When they do an ad for MySpace, then we'll know they're going after the 15-year-old market. Can you imagine the hell that high schools will be when iPhones are as common as iPods? As a sub, I had enough people in need of a flogging for not following those rules! (That's not to say I wouldn't use them if a real teacher, but you know they weren't listening to Coffee Break SPanish).

8. stevehp macrumors 6502

Is that 1.1.3's interface when the call comes in? Mine definitely doesn't look like that...The Caller ID comes up differently. I'm on 1.1.1...

I also don't have that ringtone

9. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

Just watched it on you tube on my iPhone, I love this little gizmo. I think I will have to go upgrade to 16gb later.

10. kingtj macrumors 68020

The ad about checking car prices ....

I have to say, the ad about using the iPhone to check on car pricing while shopping is something I've tried to do with several previous "Smartphones" I've owned. And truthfully, it never worked worth a darn on any of them.

My Palm Treo 650 just crashed/hung trying to display either car pricing info on the Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds web sites. A Kyocera 7135 would just display gibberish trying to draw the screen that had me select a year, make and model of vehicle I wanted to look up. And any phone older than that I ever tried it with just didn't have enough of a browser to even begin to handle it.

This is actually a really good use for an iPhone, IMHO - even if it's something you won't do very often. When you *do* want to trade in a vehicle and shop for a used or new replacement though, you run into a lot of options you hadn't originally considered -- and you need quick access to price info if you want to be sure the dealership isn't screwing you over. Meanwhile, carrying in a physical price guide book isn't always such a good idea either. (A salesperson may see the price guide and know he/she has to find new strategies to get your money. Better to catch them off-guard, knowing information they don't know that you know.....)

11. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I did that exact thing when I bought my Tacoma. Worked out what my old crapper was worth, and what the new truck was worth and was able to escape several of the initial salesman's offers.

12. wallinbl macrumors regular

Yeah, but the speed sucks. I like the Wifi speed, but when I'm on Edge, I don't much care for using the Internet. It's way too slow.

13. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Why did Apple have facebook as a home screen bookmark? It would of made more sense to show off the new feature in 1.1.3

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Even with wifi, my iphone has never loaded pages as fast as they are loading on those commercials. Been that way for me since day 1, through all the software updates, and even various wifi hotspots. Not really complainging as my web experience has always been good on wifi compaired to edge, but on these commercials it's unreal the speed they are getting...

Are they using some sort of video editing trickery by speeding up the loading page process in comparison to the rest of the ad so it appears faster than it really is?

15. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Could be stored in the phones cache. I load pages quicker the 2nd/3rd time around.

16. minik macrumors 65816

Speaking of the iPhone ad: Car, where is zipcode 92611?

17. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'm not sure how or why they do that.. but no iphone I've seen has even shown the picture of the person calling on the top right corner ....

18. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

thats because you didn't load your pictures on your contacts on your address book on your computer.... if you set a picture to a contact on your phone you will get the full picture.. but if you set it to a contact on your address book on your computer then sync it over you will get the small picture on the top right.... i actually prefer the small picture on the right.

by the way ... it has been like that since day 1

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

I don't think it is a real ZIP code. the USPS site says it is invalid, and Google Maps can't find it (though it does take me to my city when I search for just my own ZIP code).

20. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

oh, well thanks for that info ... I use Microsoft "address book" and I'm not sure if that possible to do...

21. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm a Senior in high school and we have iPhones all over the place.... and I've got to admit, I do love Facebook =)

22. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

What gets me is the ringtone used in the ads isn't even available as default on the iPhone. I've had to make my own in Garageband. :(

23. buffalo macrumors 65816

I'm a junior in high school and I have yet to see an iPhone. Quite a few touches though. My touch has been real nice since I know someone that got me onto the school's protected network.

24. axboi87 macrumors regular

axboi87

Audi

I absolutely knew before I saw the commercial that it was going to be a german car. Non-German car's are so PC.

25. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

they should have used a custom icon to get to facebook. it would have confused people into thinking there was some sort of special integration.