new iphone and data transfer rates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ntotah, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ntotah macrumors newbie

hey folks-- i'm thinking about waiting until later this summer (June?) to buy an iPhone because of the *rumored* 7.2 mbps speeds that may be supported on an upgraded 3G network.

My question to you people with more knowledge than me: if I will mostly use the iPhone on a WPA wireless network, will that (potential) upgrade in speed help me at all on wireless networks or is that only applicable to G3? If it doesn't impact wireless then am I right in assuming there won't be much difference in the phones since I can download the new firmware/software in june? This makes the difference to me between waiting thru the summer or buying now.

Thanks!

Nelson

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

the current 3g phone can already do 7.2mbps. And this only effects 3g, not wifi.

as for the current and new phone being the same. My guess is they will add a better battery, camera (with video), and more storage.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It won't affect using wifi.

BUT, no one is really sure if the faster 3G speeds can be done with a software upgrade or if it will only work with the new phones that are coming out this summer.

So you're basically gambling on that working out in your favor if you buy now. It might. Or might not. No one knows.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I doubt they'll increase the data rate for the new iPhone. $30 a month is what they charge for the Blackberry and everything else, so I don't see how they can rise is anymore than it already is. I assume the rate plans will remain the same.

5. ntotah thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! and another question about cost...

thanks for the replies. anyone have a feeling on if the new iPhone will cost more than the iphone available now (or if they'll drop the price on older models)? i've looked at what happened when they released the new phone last june 2008, and it looks like the newer phone was cheaper but the rate plan from AT&T was increased...so.... not really a change last time.
    thanks