new iPhone and new data plans need some help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigwayne3000, Jun 7, 2010.

1. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

Ok I am currently a VZW member and I own the 1st gen BB Storm (worst phone I have ever had.) I have had it since launch but I am ready to get rid of it. I will have to pay $175 termination fee but I'll actually save money compared to paying my bill from now until Dec. when its over. I want to get the new iPhone when I get back from my military training I'm going on from June 11-25. My question is though is how the new ATT data plans will affect me. When the plans were announced there was a site that had a layout of what 2GB of data will get you and the breakdowns of it but I can't find it right now so I was curious if anyone knew and could tlel me or link me to a similar description. I'm just curious if what 2Gb will get me in terms of webpages, video streaming etc. Thanks for all the help guys!

2. 184550 Guest

Look here.

10,000 Emails w/o attachments
    and
    1,500 Emails with attachments
    and
    4,000 web pages
    and
    500 Down or up loads of photos to social networking sites
    and
    200 minutes of streaming video

3. canderton macrumors member

You will most likely NEVER hit the 2GB limit. Most users could probably even suffice with the cheaper 200MB/month plan. In the words of at&t, 200MB will allow you “to send/receive 1000 emails (no attachments), plus send/receive 150 emails with attachments, plus view 400 Web pages, plus post 50 photos on social media sites, plus watch 20 minutes of streaming video.”

I have a iPhone 3GS and I rarely go over just 60MB/month, mainly because I'm usually in a wifi hotspot so I don't have to rely on 3G that much.

4. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the speed responses guys! Much appreciated. I just check my useage on my BB Storm and I used 41290.01KB as of 6/4 which according to a calculator is only 40MB. I might just go with the 200MB plan at first because if I remember correctly, I can always upgrade to the 2GB plan if need be. Again, thanks a lot.

5. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I guess this doesn't sound as bad as it did when they first released the details. I would most definitely fall into the 200mb category as I mostly email/text/check social sites. Whew!

6. bigwayne3000 thread starter macrumors regular

yea, same here man. only problem i'm seeing is unlike my Storm I know I'll probably be d/l apps like crazy on the iPhone so I am curious to how apps will work since there are some that run in the background. But I would enjoy saving that $15/mo and just use 200mb