New iPhone, build quality concern..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RobHague, Dec 9, 2009.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

I recently (17th November) got an iPhone 3GS on contract from ORANGE. Everything's been fine, until today. I just noticed something while plugging the cable into charge (See Picture)...

As you can see the screw on the left of the dock port is quite misaligned :eek: and if you look closer, the docking port itself slopes a little downwards (though its hard to see it on cam, and with your eyes unless you are looking closely). It's been in a case since i took it out of the box so never really noticed it before (or was looking for it). But now i have im wondering what to do about it.

I know it does not stop the phone from working, but seriously.... its not supposed to be like that... and it makes me wonder whatelse about this phones build is subpar....

Unfortunatly the "7 Days" i had from ORANGE to return is obviously past, and im not sure they would actually take my complaint seriously :confused:. They will probably tell me to talk to Apple so do you think i have any cause for complaint here? I've heard of people complaining over hair-line cracks ;) and god knows what the screw is pushed against :\

Attached Files:

2. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

3. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is not the point at all.

I could rub it over with sandpaper, carve my name on the back of it with a pocket knife and it would still work too....

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Don't you examine new devices when you first got it?

Maybe it was fine when you first got it, and it got damaged?

5. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't check for misaligned screws no.... No btw, its actually not left the house since i got it and i dont see how droping it or whatever would cause a screw to bend that isnt even exposed. Unfortunatly its just one of those things that got overlooked.

I guess i can only give ORANGE a call about it :\ the apple site didnt seem to send me anywhere specific.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd go to an Apple store and see what they say.

7. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point i guess, not sure if there is one near here though. Nothing i can via mail or something?

8. I3eXa macrumors 6502

yeah an Apple store will probably just switch you out especially since it's so new...

9. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Head into your nearest Apple Store, I'm sure they'll replace it. It is most likely a manufacturing defect.

And to Consultant, I don't think most people check their iPhones upon receipt for defects, I am certainly one of them.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I used to sell unlocked ones, so I always check to see if they are in perfect condition.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I do after the last refurb I got had a wifi problem, but that's due to me living 60 miles from the store. However, even so, I doubt I would catch that screw problem.

@OP: You have to go personally to the store. Even if one Genius turns you down, try try again.

12. projectone macrumors member

don't bother unless you know the people at genius bar. I had a similar situation where my silver bezel is not completely attached with the backing. So i took it to apple store and the genius said it was due to user abuse and is not replaceable under that issue. the reason that is said is because i use a super thin case (SGP) to cover up the back so when i set it down it doesn't scratch like sandpaper but due to the build up of dirt and lint it actually scratched the corners of my phone. the genius guy saw it while taking the case apart and told me that is the reason why the bezel is apart. i quote, "from this damage, it is pushing against the phone.... splitting the bezel from the rest of the phone." This made me really mad as i've never dropped it and a f#$@ing scratch does not separate the bezel from the phone.

so i suggest just save the trip and wait until there is a true hardware defect to get a replacement.