New Iphone causing problems trying to sync

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shaggyboiler, Feb 27, 2010.

1. shaggyboiler macrumors newbie

I have a new iphone 3gs. Just got it yesterday. I hooked it up to Itunes and it connected. But gave me some errors that it couldn't sync due to required file not found.

I unplugged the iphone and restarted the PC. Plugged it back in and then it gave an error. It cannot read the contents of the iphone go to the summary page and do a restore.

I did a full restore and put it back to factory settings. Plugged it in and Itunes saw it but again would not sync due to file not found or other errors.

Unplugged it and back in and now it again says it cannot read the contents of the iphone and I need to do a restore.

I tried 2 other computers it says the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?
    I've read all kinds of things but there doesn't seem to be any real fix.

Shane

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Do you have iTunes updated to the latest version on any of those computers you used?

It would help if you'd tell us exactly what the errors say and what number they are.

3. shaggyboiler thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have the latest version of itunes, just downloaded it yesterday.

When I plug in the iphone itunes pops up and gives this error:
    "Itunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "Shane's iPhone" Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings."

I've done this twice and it keeps coming back after I take the phone off the comptuer and put it back on.

Shane

4. Omni79 macrumors newbie

I just purchased 2 iphone 3gs for me and my wife on 14 March 2010, and I am getting the same errors for both of them.

I've even tried 3 seperate laptops. 2 which are mine and my wifes and also a co-worker who has a working iphone. All 3 laptops gave me the same error.

"iTunes cannot read the content of "MY iPhone". Go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click restore to restore this iPhone to its factory settings"

Which I did losing all of my contacts. I'm not reseting it again.....

As I continued to fight this I then started to recieve these errors:

The iPhone "elizabeths iPhone" Cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found. Hit ok

Error:
    The iPhone "elizabeths iPhone" cannot be synced. A folder was specified instead of a file.
    Hit ok

I have spoken with Apple Care and they are trying to blame my laptops chipset. Saying that new computers are coming up as not being compatable with the iphone and that I need to find an update to the BIOS. Give me a break. My new alienware is current. My wifes laptop is 2 or 3 years old and my co-workers iphone works just fine on his laptop.

I'm not stupid when it comes to computers. I have unistalled every file from itunes, quick time, bonjur etc and done a complete fresh install, have the most up to date version and still this is occurring.

My only conclusion is that it is the lastest Iphone update of 3.1.3 and Apple does not want to take responsibility for it. I've waited years to finally get my iphone only to have this experence with it.

Can anyone please help? Is there are way to downgrade with out jailbreaking my phone?

Update, even now my Itouch (which I've had for a year) is receiving this same error. so it HAS to be the last update to 3.1.3 that is screwing everything up.

5. metalhead777 macrumors regular

I understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, since I've updated to 3.1.3, although I had no thought of jailbreaking at the time, iTunes has been screwed up on both my desktop and laptop computers. I think Apple wants us, the Windows users, to convert to Mac, which I will be soon enough. I'm pretty sure Apple sent out 3.1.3 to screw us over on jailbreaking AND using iTunes on Winblows. :mad: :apple:

6. ocfrdmed macrumors newbie

Iphone will not sync

I down loaded the latest Itunes 9.1.0.79 and when I try syncing my Iphone 3G I get these error messages;

"Sync Server has stopped working"

"MDC Crash Report tool has stopped working"

I am assuming that the last of these tow error messages is a notification to Windows, but I don't understand why the Iphone won't sync. It was snycing find prior to the new iTunes software update.

I also tried to run the iTunes diagnostic and I got the following error messages;

"Syncli has stopped working"

"eventfixer has stopped working"

WTF?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

A number of people have had problems with 9.1. I haven't updated to it, but since you have, I'd recommend reinstalling and see what that does. Otherwise, uninstall and reinstall iTunes.