New iPhone - Chance Wireless N ??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meagain, Jun 7, 2008.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

We have Wireless N devices here at my house and have to dumb down the router so the iPhones work. Not good.

Would 'N' capability be a possibiity physically in the new phone? I fear it won't considering how long it took the Mini and Airport Express to get it. It would be nice to run our computers on 'N' here.

2. mtfield macrumors 6502

yea i couldn't agree more. I know the phone wouldn't benefit off of it, but I would happily pay a bit more so as not to have to kill my network speed when using the iphone

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

hmmmm, its not unreasonable to believe so. actually that would be quite nice.:rolleyes:

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I was thinking "no way" until I learned that mixed mode caused slower connections. Considering every other Apple product uses 802.11n now, I would lean toward it doing that.

5. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I've gotten by the mixed mode slowdown by having a dual-band network. I have a AEBS set to 5 GHz N only, and an Airport Express with wireless G attached to the AEBS via ethernet. But even if the new iPhone has N, I'll still need the dual-band setup because my wife will get my 1st gen iPhone.

6. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

RaceTripper - :) I have an AEBS N and an non-N Express. I'm having a hard time sorting out how you set this up. So the AEBS is on N for the big machines and the Express only talks to the iPhone?

Well, if anyone could point me in the direction as to how to set that up, I'm all ears.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I would love this, instead of my MacBook and TV being the only use for my airport extreme N, (I have a second Range Max G for everything else) - I bought the thing so it could be used and the more the merrier.

8. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yes, that is correct. I just set up the Airport Express to create a wireless network, but instead of connecting the ethernet port to a DSL/Cable router, I connect the ethernet to one of the AEBS ethernet ports. Works like a charm.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

That sounds like what he's talking about. I assume you just turn some setting on the Express to work just as an access point and create a different SSID. Like "Apple Fanboy Extreme" for the AEBS and "Apple Fanboy Express" for the other. Unfortunately for me, I also have a Nintendo Wii, so no native mode for me. I don't really want to spend $100 to get past this issue, although after the day and a half it's taking to do Time Machine over the network, it has me itchy.

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Yes, you create unique SSIDs for each. Basically you have two distinct wireless networks bridged via ethernet.

11. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you. I'll have to remember to look up how to physically do this. My G Express just sits in a drawer right now. I "think" I'm supposed to set it up as not "extend a network" but to "create", but it's the physical attaching of things I'm not getting.

Anyway, I wanted to bring this up because I don't really see anyone talking about the G vs. N thing with the iPhone which surprised me. Mostly wondered if N is a physically bigger part or something.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Set it up as it's own network, as if you didn't even have a AEBS (i.e. Create a network), but give it a SSID that is not already used by the AEBS. On my setup the Express gets it's ethernet address from the AEBS using HDCP.

The physical part is trivial. The Express has one ethernet port. Connect that to one of the three ethernet ports on the AEBS. It's that simple.

13. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks much! I'll play around with this when I can. Hopefully I won't have to!

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Here's the relevant info in the Internet settings panel for the Express. Note that you set "Connect Using:" to Ethernet

Attached Files:

15. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you. I'm thinking it might not work as our AEBS is rather far away and I don't think the Express will work that far. I think we'd have to move the router elsewhere. Easy to test though I think.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

ZERO possibility; simply because a phone does not need N-wireless not to mention the fact that radios don't exist?

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A308 Safari/525.20)

it might not need the speed but, as others have pointed out, having a non-N device slows down the entire N network. I've done what others have and setup a separate 802.11G network for my iPhone but it would be better not to have to...