New iPhone, Corporate transfer??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisrice, Sep 14, 2011.

1. chrisrice macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you can help a newbie to this forum out.

I have a phone in which my job pays for, but would like to upgrade to a newer model iPhone (4, 4S, 5..whatever!). I currently have the 3GS.

Let's say I receive an iPhone 4, is there a way to transfer my account onto that new phone - without going through my company?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Chris :cool:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you're using a GSM iphone/account then all you have to do is take out your sim and put it in the new iphone.
    It wont make any difference to your account and your company will continue to pay the same amount.

3. EddyP macrumors 6502

Yes but.

If he wants to hook up to the company email, he may have problems. They may force the security policy on him (lock password, etc). That may prevent an "unauthorized" device from working on the company email.

At my previous employer, as soon as I would try to setup my exchange email through work, they would force an OTA security policy onto my iPhone requiring a lock password and some other things. It would also only work with certain phones.

OP:
    Your company may let you put a 4 or 5 with no problems. They may just not buy you the new phone (which it sounds like you are OK with). If you don't use the company email and they don't enforce a security policy, I say go for it. If you need corp email and they do push some kind of security policy on your phone, then it may be worth becoming friends with someone in IT who can answer your question or get you on the network without a device check.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said, its always good to talk to them and let them know about it before.

5. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

If he buys the phone his company will probably NOT allow him to use it. The company would no longer own the device which the companies information is stored on and therefor not have control of the information. There are legal issues in play here. I know where I work they would NEVER allow it

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

That is a company by company decision. Our company expanded our service offering to include personal devices, but they are subject to the same security policies as the corporate owned phones including our ability to wipe it and notifying us if it is lost/stolen/sold/etc.

To the OP: There are too many possibilities to give you an answer either way. For example, where I work we prevent new phones or a different phone from a current user from accessing corporate resources until it is approved by hand. Phones that do not support our security policies are denied by the system and don't make it to the approver level.

7. EddyP macrumors 6502

It's not about who owns the phone. It's about who can control the data on the phone.

Yup. Same with my prior employer. We could use our own phones but they forced the security policy onto the phone.

8. PapaStu macrumors member

PapaStu

Being someone who takes care of our office phones for our corporate phone plans (both AT&T and Verizon)you may, but there are some caveats about it.

Provider? If it's AT&T you *could* switch SIM cards out and go on about your day. HOWEVER, if the phone line that you've got already doesn't have a data plan for it, then you're going to have a problem as the iPhone will require a data plan.

If your devices are on Verizon, then you're TSOL. There isn't a way to jump a phone across if you're not the account authorizer.

In my company, currently the devices are covered by the company and as such there is no 'choice' of device, you want a covered line, then you take what they give you. There is no official support for any other device on the corporate network and all devices not supported are 'banned' from access (though you can still get to corporate email using them, it's tempting fate). At some point we've had talk of allowing Android and iOS devices on the network (with additional security protocols), but as of right now its BB or nothing.

9. chrisrice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I kinda figured I would receive answers like this, just wanted to make sure.

PapaStu: I do have a data plan from my company and it's AT&T. So basically if I swap the SIM card, it could work?

Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Chris