New iPhone design not all that?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by houssein31, Sep 13, 2014.

1. houssein31 macrumors regular

Already pre-ordered the phone and all, and I like all the features, the rounded edges, big screen, but i fell like its not the nicest phone they made. I mean if you look at the iPhone 5, it was really a nice and innovative. I'm not saying the new one is ugly, just that they could have made it better looking.

Just my opinion...anyone else agrees?

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Could have put a 40mp camera and 512 gb of storage, and include a case and a $200 bill. But they didn't.

3. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

if the downsized the top and bottom parts it would have been a much better design. engineering that was probably impossible, but it is what it is.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

"Really nice"? Help me understand this term in detail.

5. skadd macrumors regular

Well, just look at the iPhone 4S and 5, both great designs for their time compared to other phones.

I would have liked iPhone 6 to have less bezels, and with no / or less visible antenna bands. As many have noticed, less bezels look more futuristic and beautiful.
    There's no problem implementing into the OS so that the phone doesnt recognize touching the sides of the phone as input.

I think Apple just stalls the evolution of the design. They probably know how the iPhone 7 and 8 will look.

Anyway people don't seem to mind now they've decided to buy the phone.
    I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone, just my 2 cents.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I love it. Sure the camera and the lines aren't GREAT, but the overall form of the phone is, IMHO

7. sekazi macrumors 6502

I think the no edge design is going to be good. I just do not know about the lines. Maybe if they came up with a way to hide them better.

As for the top and bottom. I doubt they will ever be able to get rid of them due to how much stuff they are putting in there. Putting it behind the screen will only make the phone thicker.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The iPhone 6 is a work of art. That much tech in such a large yet thin device. Apple has outdone themselves. Again. Steve would be proud.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It looks fine to me. I wish it was a bit more compact, but as far as aesthetics, honestly, I'm going to slap a case on it so even if it was a Mona Lisa, I'd never see it. As long as it works like an iPhone, decent battery life, fits OK in an average mans pants pocket (no, not skinny jeans, regular ones and slacks) I'm happy.

10. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

If they could have found a way to shrink the top and bottom bezels and shorten the Plus just a bit I would have liked that but really I have no complaints. It looks great.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Thicker and smaller would be fine with most people, and an improvement.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

This... They always never ceases to amaze me with their engineering.

13. kerrikins macrumors 65816

I really like the look of the 5 but I am still looking forward to my 6. I think it'll be nice to have the curves back, especially since Apple kept the quality and didn't go to plastic. I might even skip a case this time around... We'll see!

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm guessing the protruding lens will be flush with one of Apples cases on--so perhaps it's actually designed to be used with a case.

I wouldn't say the iPhone is ugly, but neither does it wow me all the previous versions did.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'm liking the new design. Curved edges gonna feel nice.

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's not my favorite. But even my 5 is kinda meh in design (in that, rarely do I look at it and think about the design).

I really dug my 4s design though.

Specifically about the 6, the bezels are big and the camera protrudes. Could be better, but I bought it for the larger screen and other upgrades. Doubt I'll ponder the design much.

17. xxray macrumors 6502

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I really don't like the protruding camera or the antenna breaks. The big bezels are dated too, so overall not a great looking iPhone IMO. There's more to a phone than looks of course, but the design doesn't appeal. Apple products usually look classy, modern and sleek. This thing looks none of those to my eyes and it's the worst looking iPhone since the 3GS.

19. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I hated the lines at first, but now I actually kind of like them. Especially excited to see them in person as it probably will look way better! The protruding camera never bothered me, I got used to it with my iPod touch 5th generation a long time ago. Sort of would have liked to see smaller bezels along the sides, but I can settle with what we have. The top and bottom bezels don't bother me, it's part of the iconic "iPhone" look.

20. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I HATE the design but I ordered anyway. I want apple pay and a bigger screen and I hate my sg4.

21. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I think see it in person before judging.

We hated the 4 and the 5 when they first came out. Look at us now.

22. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I'll also wait to judge until seeing the new iPhones; however, I am a huge fan of the iPhone 4 line with the more rigid rectangles with a cool looking band around it.

The 5 line is cool too; but the new 6 line really takes us back to the 1-3 lines, which I'm not a fan of.

23. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

I love the new design, but then again, I really liked the original rounded iPhone design. The more squared off designs were nice, but glad they've changed it up.

24. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

The design of the iPhone 4 was certainly beautiful and rich looking, with all that metal and glass (coming from the 3GS), but I never liked the way the 4 felt in my hand. It just wasn't as comfortable to hold as the 3GS and prior models. Those metal edges were sharp. I also think it was too slippery (even the older models were more slippery than I'd want them to be - glossy plastic or glass/metal has that quality).

The 6 and 6+ will return us to the soft curve edges of the 3GS, so I'm looking forward to it being more comfortable to hold. But they'll still be too slippery, I suspect. I'll be interested to see what sort of "bumper" style cases become available. I never bothered getting one for my 4, 4S, or 5, but I did use one for a little while that my brother gave me and I then gave it to my wife, and I did like the feel of it.

As for the lines for the antennas or whatever they're for...I'm really not bothered by any of that.

25. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I like the design. I think the protruding camera lens is a problem though, and shows that form takes the day over function. Had they made the body flush with the lens, they could have fit in a larger battery, and would still have finished with a phone thinner than the 5S.

It seems Apple needs to make each new generation of phone thinner than the last. But they are soon approaching the point of diminishing returns. And in fact it could be argued that the Rubicon has already been crossed with current camera technology. At some point the phones will be so thin that it will be impossible to keep them from bending even during ordinary use.