New iPhone design to accompany better battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toughluck, Jul 22, 2009.

1. toughluck macrumors member

If apple released a new iPhone say adding about double the depth of the current model but twice the battery life would you be upset or happy?

-Toughluck

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

That's a terrible idea. Twice the width? No one would be able to use it as a phone anymore.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...that seems like it would not be able to fit in most pockets and a large percentage of people's hands...

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

You're gaining double the battery life, but also your iPhone looks like a giant slice of metal/glass bread.

What a terrible terrible idea...

5. toughluck thread starter macrumors member

oh my bad I meant depth. ill edit that

6. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

That would kill Apple's trend of making everything so darn thin.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Do what? So, if we make the iPhone the size of the box it came in; would I be happy? Happy, only if it was FREE!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Twice the width?

That's just as bad...I wouldn't want my iPhone to be a giant brick.

9. toughluck thread starter macrumors member

With more room for the battery they would also be able to expand the memory and storage. I wouldn't mind some extra bulk for being able to use it all day the way i want too

10. bassjunky macrumors regular

C'mon people, do you really think the OP meant to increase the width of the device and not the thickness?

I'm pretty sure when he says width he means from the glass side to the camera side. While I wouldn't want it any thicker, it would hardly make it unusable.

11. bassjunky macrumors regular

No need, common sense has escaped most here.

12. toughluck thread starter macrumors member

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I think twice the depth would be too much. I would mind if it was a little bit thicker, but twice as thick would be too much.

14. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

How does the battery affect the memory/storage? You need a stronger processor and more RAM to run stronger programs.

Battery life is important, but not the strongest feature that I'm looking for in an iPhone.

15. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Double the depth? Really think about that man.

It'd be the thickest phone going. By a lot.

How would you get it into your jean pockets? Imagine if it had a case on it.

How much more would it weigh? Double what it weighs now? The same?

I dunno man ... I think they're pretty close to a 'perfect' form factor (though still a long way to go), and they should focus on getting more out of (or in to, depending on how you look at it) the current form factor. If anything, I think this phone should be narrower.

16. megadon macrumors 6502

there's no perfect product..

opportunity cost.... in order to gain better battery life, you have to give up something else..

and most likely, more people will complain about those changes even more

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They wouldn't make it thicker, especially twice as much. The forums would light up and Apple would be ridiculed across the mainstream media for taking a step back. If you do want the extra battery Incase makes a nice case that attempts to solve this problem. Also, the iPhone has a relatively decent batter time for what it is.

18. toughluck thread starter macrumors member

19. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

ya man, if you don't mind the extra thickness that's a great option for you. There's a whole bunch of decent battery pack options out there.

The added bonus being that if you're going out to dinner or a bar or something, and you know you'll be home again in a few hours, you can leave the pack at home and fit the phone in your pocket or whatever. But if you're going out for the day, or on a long ass bus/train/metro ride - boom, battery pack time.

20. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Straight from my company, a new iPhone DualSim! Its exactly twice as thick, has two cameras, two sim card slots, and costs $398 for 32GB and $598 for 64GB! It costs you $60 a month for data and gets 2x the battery if u only use one SIM at a time!

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I remember thinking the Treo 650 was so cool and it was twice as thick. The iPhone has spoiled me being so thin. I think it would be a bad idea.

As far as I am concerned, I need the battery to last me at least 16 hours. The other 8 of the day I am probably sleeping and can recharge.... :D