New iPhone Exchange Experience

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Oct 7, 2012.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The wife & I recently purchased a white iPhone 4 on Verizon for her.

Unfortunately, we discovered quite quickly that it had battery issues (being down to 10% being on standby almost the entire day with battery-saving settings in place). I called AppleCare up, and they did their thing, yet the issue persisted, so they said an exchange was in order.

Now this is where it gets interesting; they said that I had 3 options:
    1. take it in to an Apple Store
    2. do a mail exchange (for free) that would basically mean my wife would be without a phone for the better part of a week
    3. do an expedited exchange that would cost $30 for the shipping.

I told them (politely but firmly) that since we don't live within an hour of an Apple store that I was left with 2 options: not have a brand new and paid for phone for a week OR pay $30 MORE for a phone that was faulty and not performing as advertised; I told them that these 2 options were unacceptable.

I then asked if anything could be done since this was a brand new device, and I don't live within a reasonable distance to a store. The pleasant lady on the phone said that she would see what she could do; a few minutes later, I was talking to another (higher level) rep. who said he could waive the shipping fee for me. Issue resolved and well-taken-care-of by Apple.

Another example of how (IN MOST INSTANCES) Apple is willing to do right by its customers and how firm but courteous insistence and a level head can help one's own cause.

2. Sjf73 macrumors member

Took my year old (and looked it!) and now redundant 4S into Apple Highcross (Leicester UK) last week with a week left on the warranty.

It had a yellow line down the right side of the screen and a couple of wifi issues.

The genius I saw was really helpful and courteous.

He pointed out that the phone had slight water ingress through the ear phone jack and the water markers were showing, but as it was only slight he was prepared to overlook it.
    Didn't even need to open my mouth - He just came right out with it.

5 minutes later I walked out with a new phone.

That's how, with one exception in 7 years of buying from them, Apple have always looked after me.

3. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I've always had wonderful service at Apple.

I always try to be "polite but firm" as the OP said.

Politeness goes a long way IMHO.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think the most shocking thing about your story is that they tried to charge you the $30 fee initially.

5. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, that was the bit that took me by surprise as well. Based on my past experiences, I couldn't believe that was the choice they were pushing (BTW, they didn't even mention the non-expedited shipping option at first, I had to push further before they even mentioned it).

I only really thought to ask about waiving the expedited shipping fee based on my location front he discussions on these forums about people who lived far from Apple stores adding AppleCare+ to their iPhones after the time of purchase, and how Apple allowed this because they weren't within a close proximity to a store.

All's well that ends well, and Apple did come through, I just wish my pushing and prodding hadn't been necessary.