New iPhone feature idea - feedback

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saladinos, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hi guys,

I just had an idea for a new iPhone feature, and wanted your feedback.

Feature: GPS CallerID

How it Works: When you make a call, the iPhone takes your GPS coordinates (through A-GPS or triangulation), and stores it temporarily on Apple's servers. The person receiving the call send a lookup request to Apple's servers, which passes the GPS information to you, and displays a small GoogleMap on the incoming call screen, with your callers location. Tapping it opens the Maps application, centered around the caller.

Alternatively, your phone may send the data through the data channel (3G only)

Uses: Say you're meeting with a friend - being able to see their exact location will allow you to give them better directions if they're lost, allow you to know exactly where to meet them, or judge how long you'll have to wait.

Security: Obviously, it should be possible to disable this feature through the Location Services switch. Another potential concern is that people other than people you're calling can track your location by requesting the data from Apple's servers. This potential vulnerability could be closed by either using a P2P connection between iPhones through the 3G network, or using some form of encryption based on the information normally available through CallerID (using the exact time of call starting, phone number, and if the receiver gets information such as the IMEI, using that as well).

Another approach would be to have the data stored on servers belonging to the official iPhone carrier, and having them validate that a call exists between the two people before granting the request for GPS coordinates.

This would limit access to your co-ordinates to those people you are calling only.

So, what do you think? Would this be a useful feature for you? Have you seen this anywhere else?

2. Olleh macrumors member

Wow, I suprisingly like this idea - it would be very useful! Roll it out, Apple!

3. Zimpaz macrumors regular

sounds good to me!!

It would have been useful just last week when i was meeting a friend and they didnt know where they were going

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I think it might be more secure if the coordinates were broadcast instead of pulled. IOW, tap "Send Location" to a recipient.

Call it GPSMS.

5. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Ehhh it isn't useful to me. I don't like when I am lying to people where I am and they can find out. But I doubt cingular or apple will turn it off when someone requests it

6. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I mentioned that it should be possible to disable it, either through the Location Services switch, or a new one.

7. spetykowski macrumors member

Sounds like a great idea to me. This would be one feature that I would use for sure.

8. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

9. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

Or, a similar idea, in the SMS or Mail... a new little button saying 'send location' tap it and it texts your friend a googlemaps link with your location, this could then be viewed by other iPhone users or anyone with an internet connection.

'so where is your house?'

'here'

10. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

11. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I might have misunderstood, but if the lost person can send you their GPS position, how are they lost?

12. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

- Gspot sends coordinates through email. I'm talking about attaching it to CallerID. Of course if both people have the app, they could open G spot and send you the details, but it's slower (unless you both have push), and less convenient.
    - Say I'm meeting Bob at a shop on A street. He's on X street. I can see that on the call display, and tell him to go straight on, and take the second left. Maps doesn't list every shop and place of interest to give directions.

This can probably be done with a Jailbreak application, as the SDK probably doesn't let you put anything on the call screen (whereas jailbreak applications have been able to put stuff on, for example, the home screen)

13. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Pretty cool idea. I can see parents using it.

Teenager: "Hi, Mom/Dad... I'm at Jenny's for a sleep over"
    Parent: "No you're not, you're at club XYZ... Git yer butt home..."