New Iphone...Help needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Polly Pod, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Polly Pod macrumors newbie

Hey guys
    I'm a big reader of this site and all the forums and you've all helped me out loads on matters concerning my Mac but i'm in need of some good advice from all of those in the know out there.

I've just read about the new firmware for the next gen Iphone and i wanted to know if anyone had any idea of when this is likely to drop?
    I am over due for my upgrade with O2 in the UK and would love to get a white Iphone but am thinking should i wait for the new one if it's coming in the next few months as its £160 wasted if a new one comes out after i get it.

If someone has already asked this then i apologise but just could do with some help on this before i part with my money in these credit crunch times.

Cheers:D

2. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Firmware refers to the software on the iPhone. You mean to ask when the next hardware revision will be.

The answer is not known by anyone for certain, but all information points towards a substantial hardware revision in June at WWDC.

//doobi18

3. efice32 macrumors 6502

I think they mean in the new firmware there's a reference to a mysterious iPhone 2,1 model number listed in the firmware (the original iPhone is iPhone 1,1 and the iPhone 3G is iPhone 1,2 ). If that's the case then this is just another "should I buy now or wait until the next iPhone comes out" question.

It's hard to say because this does suggest a new iPhone down the pipeline. I'd say the earliest we'd see it is some time in June or July. If you're okay with waiting that long, then wait. If you're not, then buy it now.

That being said, jumping from 1,2 to 2,1 instead of just going to 1,3 suggests serious functionality changes.

Here's the thread about it: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=642580