New iPhone? Help!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Eskemo30, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Eskemo30 macrumors newbie

Ok so my iPhone 3GS just overheated today. And the people at AT&T said I should take it and get it replaced because it's still under warranty. The nearest apple store is about an hour away so should I wait(who knows how long) for the iPhone 5 or should I get another 3GS. I also don't want to spend money on an iPhone 4 if the iPhone 5 is going to come out pretty soon.

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Why would they replace your 3GS with an iPhone 4 or 5? I thought they only did warranty replacements for the same device and model. I could be completely wrong but if this is permitted, expect to pay the difference.

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

What do you mean your iPhone overheated? You need to give details and expand on your issue, otherwise no one will be much of help, just like the ATT guys, they'll refer you to Apple. If you used it in hot weather or warm conditions, it will most likely heat up (which is normal). Get a replacement now, if you are under warranty they will repair/replace your iPhone with the SAME model only free of charge. If you are too far from an Apple shop, you can request an online service, where they ship an empty box to put your iPhone in and send it back to their repair warehouse where they can look into the issue.

Never expect that you can get an iPhone 4/5 replacement since they won't replace it, unless all the Apple stores in the country have run out of your iPhone model (which is a rare exception).

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can get it replaced by mail if you don't want to drive there.
    And they will replace it for free if it's under warranty with the same model iPhone. They won't give you an iPhone 6 for a 3GS.

5. Eskemo30 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm. guess i should have made that more clear. it was sitting on my desk at work, im thinking it was the battery pack i purchased(made by rocketfish) that made it over heat. I know that they will only replace the same model which is why i was wondering whether i should WAIT for the 5 to come out or get mine replaced. my 3GS right now SEEMS to be fine and back to normal.

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Glad your phone is back to usable condition now. You won't lose anything (money-wise) if you get your 3GS replaced, that is, if the problem should occur again. Since you've already pinpointed what was causing it, you should just stick with your 3GS and wait for the iPhone 5. No point in getting the iPhone 4 this far down the line.

7. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I dont think he meant he'd get an iPhone 4 or 5. I think he meant to purchase it.

8. truncj macrumors member

So basically, the fact that his iPhone 3GS is under warranty and overheated is completely irrelevant. He just wants to know if he should buy a new phone?

9. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Im saying the person doesn't expect to get an iPhone 4 or 5 FROM his 3GS warranty. He's asking if he shouldn't buy the iphone 4 because of the iPhone 5 is coming soon.

Honestly though, if your phone is under warranty and bothers you, just get a replacement phone. Dont waste the opportunity. An hour away isnt far, I live 2 hours from an Apple store.